Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another Canadian Camelier

Guest stevebec

Guest stevebec

In line with the help you gave me with RCR Lindsay can you help with this soldier.

His name is Clarence George Adey 135414

His AIF records show he had service in the 48th Bn Canadian Highlanders.

But his attestion papers in Canada show he enlisted in the 74th Bn CEF.

Was this Bn disbanded in UK to supply men for the 48th Bn in France?

Do you know anything of its history.

Thanks for any insight

S.B

I have Love's Call to Arms in front of me.

The 74th recruited in Peel and York counties they were mobilised in Barrie. His service number falls within their block.

The 74th was absorbed by the 50th, 51st & 52nd Btns and the 2nd CMR Btn.

The 50th went to the 10th Brigade.

The 51st went to 'garrison duty in the United kingdom'

the 52nd went to the 9th brigade

So how we get from 74th to 48th is a little bit of a mystery. :huh:

Now the 48th was redesignated the 3rd pioneer and was apparently broken up in the field for renforcements no date given.

I know from my own research that a relative was in one unit in Canada which was broken up in England and he was assigned to the 16th, which is what his medals read, even though he attested to a different unit and was later in the CMGC.

So it looks like your man was in the 48th at his arrival in France so the 48th number followed him even though the 48th itself was broken up in the field. :blink:

If you follow any of this please explain it to me!

Neil

Guest stevebec

Yes mate I can follow your line.

Can you confirm if the 74th Bn was broken up in Canada or UK?

And if the Brake up of the 48th Bn was in UK or France?

All this must of happened before October 1916 as my man had traveled to Australia and enlisted in the AIF on that date.

S.B

His AIF records show he had service in the 48th Bn Canadian Highlanders.

But his attestion papers in Canada show he enlisted in the 74th Bn CEF.

Was this Bn disbanded in UK to supply men for the 48th Bn in France?

Steve/Neil, the AIF records are wrong; they should indicate service in 48th Regiment Highlanders. This was a militia unit, pre-war and start of war, who did NOT supply men to the 74th Btn. (Rather 15th, 92nd, and 134th Btns.)

He may have joined 74th all on his own; they were broken up as Neil indicates. All these units (50,51,52,2CMR) served in Britain and/or France, with 3rd or 4th Cdn Divisions.

48th Battalion is a red-herring. Although they have an interesting history; my Grandad served with them after they became 3rd Pioneers!! Originally they were Irish Fusiliers out of Victoria, British Columbia.

To accurately trace this man, you need to order his service records from National Archives Canada. Most of us Canuck Pals can give you details on that.

Peter in Vancouver

48th Battalion is a red-herring.  Although they have an interesting history; my Grandad served with them after they became 3rd Pioneers!!  Originally they were Irish Fusiliers out of Victoria, British Columbia.

Hi Peter:

You just beat me to the 'Add Reply' button on this one. I've just gone through a couple of books to try and unravel the string and I have to agree with you, I think the AIF records are incorrect. My guess is he enlisted with the 74th Bn.

Garth

Hi Neil:

Broznitsky calls of Love's "A Call To Arms" the bible of the CEF and in most cases his bang on. However, with the disbursement of battalions, Love is providing readers with a general rule of thumb. I've come across references in official battalion histories of drafts being received by battalions that DO NOT fall into the Love disbursement pattern. This happened just a couple of days ago when I was researching the month of June 1918 with the PPCLI.

Garth

Had a look at his Cdn attestation; he had an interesting trade: Vulcanizator :angry:

I claim copyright on this for my screen play; I am going to shop it to Sly Stallone or Arnie S. and make millions so I can afford that PPCLI Medal set!! :P

Seriously, I guess that occupation must have something to do with making tires (tyres) ??

Guest stevebec

Got yeh.

So he had service in the 48th Bn Milita then enlisted in the 74th Bn and served unto it broke up.

Do you know what time this happened?

As I wonder why he then came out to Australia to reenlist on 15th November 1916.

His AIF enlistment doc's show him as a Motor Driver age 21 from Ultimo NSW with his NOK in Wellington Shropshire UK.

The AIF enlistment doc's just record his previous service in the 48th Bn with no time mentioned.

You can read them free of charge on the Australian National Archives Site under WWI records. His AIF number was 1796.

S.B

Guest stevebec

P.S

I notice on top of his Canadian Attestation form he has "Struck off MW".

Do you know what this means?

Could it be the reason he left Canada?

S.B

Hi Steve:

I love these Canadian camelier guys you come up with; RCR Lindsay and now Clarence Adey. :D

This is a strange one. He enlists with the CEF on July 26, 1915 then with the AIF on November 15, 1916. Did he travel to Australia to join the AIF? :huh:

Did he ever serve in the Canadian Militia?? On his CEF attestation papers he answers:

Question 9. Do you belong to the Active Militia?..... No

Question 10. Have you ever served in any Military Force?..... No

I tried to find your guy on the Australian national Archive site with no luck. Could you please post a link to the site. Thanks.

I don't have any idea what "Struck off WM" means. However, it appears to have been put on his attestation papers at the time he signed up, so I don't think it's a clue as to why he left Canada.

Garth

BTW, did you ever find out if RCR's father, Captain H. Lindsay, was ever the mayor of Melville?

Guest stevebec

Your right.

His AIF records that he served in the 48th Bn Canadian Highlanders and 74th Bn with 2 months discharged medical unfit.

Hope this works;

www.naa.gov.au/The_Collection/Defence/Conflicts/ww1/ww1.html

S.B

So I'm guessing he left 74th Btn while it was still in Canada and made his way to Australia in the autumn of 1915 . . .

Guest stevebec

It would appear so.

I don't know why as yet but since he traveled to Canada to enlist then discharged for medical reasons (Kidney complant).

Maybe he would try his luck in another Commonweath Country?

He was one of the early backpackers.

I have two other Canadians who served not in WWI but in the Boer War and joinned the Camel Corps.

S.B