Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Camping on the Somme

DCLI

The heading says it all. I want to camp for one night only near Trones Wood area. Does anyone know of a good offical campsite there or within 15 - 20 miles?

regards

Guest philip john wareing

There is a good campsite in Authuille, that's close Thiepval. The site is actually sittuated on the old British front line from 1st July 1916.

If you are planning to go in September, it would be worth checking with the Tourist Information in Albert to see until which date the campsite remains open.

Kind regards

There's also one in Albert which used to be awful, but I'm told that it has improved greatly of late.

Dave.

There is a good campsite in Authuille, that's close Thiepval. . . worth checking with the Tourist Information in Albert to see until which date the campsite remains open.

On this site there are only two inland sites, one of them being the Bellevue at Authuile, open until end of November.

P.S. I have seen another topic on this today, the last posting being from Paul Reed with several sites listed. On investigation perhaps the original was moved as this is under 'I'm going to the NA!'

Edited by Brian Buck

The heading says it all, well almost. Does anyone know of a good, offical campsite on or near the Somme that they can recommend? I would like to be as near Trones Wood as possible.

I am leaving for France on Monday. Only one night on the Somme though.

regards

The nearest campsites are at Authuille, Cappy, Frise and Miraumont.

Details:

CAMPING BELLEVUE

Graded campsite, 2 stars , 96 places

Sir DESAILLY

25 rue d'albert

80300 AUTHUILLE

Prices : 12,00 €

Tel : 03 22 74 59 29

Fax : 03 22 74 05 40

LA BUISSONNIERE

Graded campsite, 1 star , 32 places

Madam DUPRONT

46 rue du 8 mai 1945

80340 CAPPY

Prices : From 8,00 € to 5,00 €

Tel : 03 22 76 09 10 ou 06 77 42 88 03

LE PRE VERT

Graded campsite, 2 stars , 50 places

Madam FOURNIER

Sir FOURNIER

16 rue râperie

80340 FRISE

Prices : 10,00 €

Tel : 03 22 84 02 90 ou 06 82 77 53 51

Fax : 03 22 84 02 90

http://www.fermedeleona.com/

LA HERELLE

Graded campsite, 1 star , 65 places

Madam HOLLEVOET

3 rue poulain

80300 MIRAUMONT

Prices : 10,50 €

Tel : 03 22 74 84 83

Fax : 03 22 74 84 83

You can also camp near Beaumont Hamel at Julie Renshaw's 'Les Galets'. See:

http://www.lesgalets.com/

I would phone before you go as this is the main French holiday season and all these will be busy.

On the subject of French holidays.... When is "Black Saturday"

Regards

Margaret

It's the Saturday nearest the start of the French August holidays when the roads are packed with people heading south to the sun.

Hi Bob - it's because with all the traffic on the roads, it's the worst weekend of the year to be travelling on the roads in France.

Thanks for that. I shall try Authuille. I will be there in about two week's time, just passing through on the way home from the south but I have insisted that we have at least one day there - my grandfather was seriously wounded near Les Beoufs and although I have been there before, I believe I know almost exactly where he went over the top, as I have a copy of a map, from his battalion's war diary of the attack - I transgress. I shall see what I can see.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

I spent a pleasant night camping in the garden of the mayor of Eclusier-Vaux, near Frise on the Somme Canal, during a Duke of Edinburgh's Award rowing trip. Probably best not to rely on it now though. We were also told by a lock keeper that we could camp on the canal banks if we wished. Again, only suitable for those who don't mind their running water to have fish in it.

Dave