The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Loos 1915

brindlerp

For those who have not seen it, a great WW1 site courtesy of Paul Reed at:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/loos.htm

part of the Battlefields of the Great War 1914 - 1918 website:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/

The photographs and maps available are tremendous, especially the Battle of Loos 1915 section.

Many thanks Paul.

[ attached: inside the Hohenzollern Redoubt ]

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1123201505.jpg

Thanks Richard - I wanted to do something for the 1915 anniversary this year, and Loos has always been a special interest for me. I hope to add some more material to it in September.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting to see the picture of the Hohenzollern Redoubt, I believe it was near here my great uncle (22340 Pte Daniel Taylor) went missing - his battalion, the 12th HLI, were holding the redoubt and he and several others were sent out on a night patrol never to return (thats the story that came down the family) - this was on 26 November 1915.

Thanks for showing it, and I would love to see more if they exist

Alistair

Hi Alistair

"Highland Light Infantry, 12th (Service) Battalion Formed at Hamilton, September 1914, as part of K2. September 1914 : attached to 46th Brigade, 15th (Scottish) Division. 3 February 1918 : transferred to 106th Brigade, 35th Division."

It would be interesting to see the Battalion War Diary for the period to confirm their location.

Attached: Photograph "Loos 13th October 1915"

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1124063461.jpg

I got copies of the Battalion war diary pages for a few days either side, and I think it has them in Bethune the day before, moving into the line in the redoubt on the 25th and nothing much else. I visited the Regimantal museum to see if the Battalion had a history but it doesnt, had a look at some Regimental journals but nothing that I could find to help.

Does anyone have the Soldiers Died CD who could tell me the names of any others of the same Battalion who died on the same day or within a couple of days? as I mentioned the story in the familiy is an officer and 2 or 3 men went out into no mans land at night and disapeared - in the museum they mentioned that if I had an officer to look for it would be easier to get info as he may have a write up in the Regimental journals when a private wouldnt get a mention.

In case you hadnt guess my avatar is of him

Thanks again

Alistair

Hi Alistair

Have you seen this:

From: http://www.naval-military-press.com/FMPro?...ameset.htm&-new

FIFTEENTH (SCOTTISH) DIVISION 1914-1919

Author: Lt Col J.Stewart and John Buchan

Format: 2003. N&M Press reprint (original pub 1926).SB viii + 489pp. Nine b/w photos (8 of them portraits) and 15 maps

ISBN: 1 84342 639 0

"An account of the division on the Western Front from July 1915 to March 1919. Appendices with honours and awards, casualties, order of battle, staffs and commanders etc. The senior of Kitchener’s Second New Army Divisions, the 15th (Scottish) was raised at Aldershot in September 1914 with a nucleus of men surplus to the requirements of the 9th (Scottish) Division and brought up to strength with drafts sent down from Scotland. It arrived in France in July 1915 and its first major battle was at Loos in which it captured its objectives, Loos itself and Hill 70, at a cost of 6, 404 casualties. All five VCs the division was to be awarded were won during the battle, four of them in twenty-four hours at Hill 70. The division remained in this sector till July 1916 when it moved down to the Somme where it achieved a notable success in capturing Martinpuich on 15th September. It took part in the Arras offensive in April 1917 and three months later it was fighting in the Battle of Pilckem Ridge during Third Ypres. It was back in the Arras sector when the German March 1918 offensive was launched and where the division held the enemy drive on Arras. For a short spell in July/August the division was under French command and took part in the capture of Buzancy and neighbouring villages. Total casualties throughout the war amounted to 45,542.

This is an excellent history, well set out and with very good maps to support the interesting and well-written account of the division’s record. A most useful innovation is the provision of marginal notes which highlight events described in the accompanying text, and the top of each page is dated, a most welcome feature in a fast-moving narrative. A remarkable feature is the number of appendices which take up 192 pages and provide a wealth of detail: Order of Battle; Commanders and Staff both divisional and brigade with all changes; chronology of moves and events; casualties by battalions/units by dates with officers named and other ranks tabulated; complete list of recipients of Honours and Awards, by battalions/units. Of special interest are the operation orders for the Battle of Loos and the translation of a German report on the battle."

Also, have you seen http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/the...chy/cuinchy.htm

Attached photograph, "trench system between Loos and Hulluch July 1917".

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1124105150.jpg

Hi Richard,

I hadnt seen that book I imagine there would be very little of specific interest in the book as my great uncle arrived less than a month before he was killed and as it was just after the battle officially fnished (I believe) I guess its not really a bit covered in depth. I do have a small book about the Battle of Loos (cant recall the name or author) but while it has some good bits it seemed a wasted opportunity as it was basically composed of replies to a request for help on the subject, but it appeared the author hadnt followed up leads - but again as my Great Uncle died post battle it wasnt really of specific interest.

I dont think I have seen those aerial photographs before - I have visited the area, but only had time to stop in at Loos eh Gohel & Vermelles cemetary

Thanks

Alistair

[ attached: inside the Hohenzollern Redoubt ]

Richard, the photo looks like the interior of a huge crater. Presumably this was the result of a mine going off in the locale of Hohenzollen Redoubt?

Robert

Hi Robert

I do not remember where I 'lifted' the photograph from in my original post, it certainly came from a book.

However, page 138 of:

LOOS - Hohenzollern, French Flanders, Battleground Europe series.

Author: Andrew Rawson

Published by Pen and Sword Books Ltd

ISBN: 0 85052 903 4

attached, also has the same image.

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1124123535.jpg

I dug out the copy from the War diary - on the 25th November the Battalion was in Vermelles doing fatigue duties, 26th the location is given as "old British front line" and the entry for the day is "Paraded at 8am relieved the 7th KOSB in D1 (S.E. Position Hohenzolleren Redoubt) on left 10th Scottish Rifles on right 44th I.B." the 27th entry is "quiet day cold and frosty weather", 28th they are relieved.

His qualifying date for his medals is 2/10/15 so he was their for a little longer than the month I thought - but not much.

Alistair

Does anyone have the Soldiers  Died  CD who could tell me the names of any others of the same Battalion who died on the same day or within a couple of days? as I mentioned the story in the familiy is an officer and 2 or 3 men went out into no mans land at night and disapeared.

Hi Alistair,

For Scottish regiments the Scottish National War Memorial resource is the best bet for those of us who don't have access to SDGW. You can search the database here:

SNWM

One other 12th Bn. man (Campbell, 1603) died on the 26th and one (Lee, 12461) on the 27th, no sign of any officer casualties :( You'd better look for yourself in case I've missed someone.

Stuart