Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where did Grandad fight?

My Grandfather joined the A.S.C. in October 1914 with his bus. I have managed to trace that he did (as family legend had always related) taken his bus to war. He would (I believe) have arrived just in time for the 1st Battle of Ypres and was in 90 MT Company which later became 1st Auxilliary Omnibus Company. However, his army record, like many others, is one of the 'burnt files' and I am finding it difficult to establish where he served. I have some detail from the war diaries of 1st Auxilliary but it seems none exists for 90 MT Coy. Anyone got any information on how I can track down where he may have been? :(

Hi,

This could be it, with the National Archives record number to use when ordering

WO 95/148

1 Motor Bus Company (90 Company A.S.C.)

1914 Oct. - 1917 Aug.

doogal

Hello Mir,and welcome to the forum.

Did your relative survive the war?.

Buses were a great help during the war,and in my Great-grandads MGC company war diary,they seem to have spent quite a bit of time travelling by Bus to different parts of the front,in France and Flanders.

All the best.

Simon.

Hello Mir,and welcome to the forum.

Did your relative survive the war?.

Buses were a great help during the war,and in my Great-grandads MGC company war diary,they seem to have spent quite a bit of time travelling by Bus to different parts of the front,in France and Flanders.

All the best.

Simon.

Yes he did - luckily for me - or I wouldn't be here !! :P

He served from October 1914 to March 1919 so he saw a lot. I just wish I had thought about tracing this while my Grandmother or Mother was still alive.

It is interesting that the MGC mentions a lot about the buses. It may be a means of tracing what he may have done if I combine where the 1st Aux diary says they went and who they moved then check that companies diary to see what action they saw.

Hi,

This could be it, with the National Archives record number to use when ordering

WO 95/148

1 Motor Bus Company (90 Company A.S.C.)

1914 Oct. - 1917 Aug.

doogal

Thanks Doogal, I think I need to visit the PRO again! It could cost me quite a bit in copies.