Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Riding Bikes in France

KIRKY

Hi

I am considering taking my family to The Somme again in October but this time using bikes to get to the the more remote bits.

Any problems, advice on this?

Will I need a yellow jacket?? :lol:

Tony

Two things to remember:

1. Always cycle of the correct side of the road - its easy to forget if there is not much traffic about.

2. If taking british bikes remember that they are Right Hand Drive whereas French Bikes are left hand drive. I jest not - we typically have the rear brakes on the left hand side so that when in mid traffic signalling with your right arm that you are turning you have full control of the rear brakes and can easily stop in an emergency without the risk with front brakes of going over the handlebars. Some cyclists will swop over the brake levers when travelling to France.

Will I need a yellow jacket??

Is October hunting season? If yes then: absolutely! Not because it is the law (see other topic) but I’ve seen so few bikes out in the French countryside that I fear they might not recognize you and your family for human and consider you ‘fair game’!

Regards,

Marco

iWill I need a yellow jacket?? :lol:

Tony

No but a string of onions on the handlebars will stop people thinking your a tourist :D .

Len