Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

why no number

bernardmcilwaine

pte thomas cartman was in the 16th batt manchester regt,A coy,No1 platoon,when i came to find him,his medal card just says captain thomas cartman,theres no mention of him being a pte or being numbered,is there a reason,any ideas folks,bernard

Bernard,

You may find he has probably been "discharged to Commission", prior to service overseas and that the details of his former service as a Pte, may be found in his Officers Service papers.

Graham.

Bernard

Cartman joined 17/Manc on 2/8/16 as a 2nd Lt. I suspect he must be the Thomas Cartman MC, from Whitefield, listed by CWGC as a WW2 casualty.

His MC citation, awarded for his actions on 23/4/17, reads "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He showed great coolness and courage in organising the consolidation and defennce of the position under heavy fire. Although wounded, he continued to direct operations until compelled to retire."

I wonder what time he got to the recruiting office to be in 1 Platoon, A Coy, 1st City Pals. And if he came from Whitefield, then he was probably one of the local middle class lads who got very quick promotion, as Graham suggests.

John

Bernard,

I thought there was a Manchester City Pals book which listed all of the lads by battalion, company, platoon, number and name, plus photo's of platoons, is he not listed in that volume or was it printed later?

Graham.

graham,hes in the platoon photo,complete with number and ptes rank,but when i typed in the number online,it didnt exist,i found him by just typing in his name,i have found quite a few odd things while searching,i know its not uncommon for a soldier to have the same number in a regt,but how common is it to have 3,4 or even 5 in one regt,the most unusual being the topic i posted below this,bernard

Bernard,

Not unusual at all to have so many. In the Northumberlands you'll find the same four figure numbers up to a ceiling of around 2000 repeated about 22 times i.e. with the Regs, Special Reserve, T.F.(4 battalions) and the 16th - 32nd Bns. That was the purpose of introducing prefix numbers as in A.C.I.144 of 18th May 1915.

Fortunatley most Northern Command units seem to have introduced it or I'd be in a right pickle with my database.

Regards,

Graham.