Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Re Navy Record

Soapy

Hi All,

This is my first post on here after drifing in and out for a while now checking out the postings, and I am very impressed with the way the site is conducted. I am tracing my family tree and it seems that from the years 1870 untill 1946 are involved in the navy, and coming from Portsmouth that is no real great surprise eh! So I have finnally managed to get hold of a copy of my Great Granfathers (Charles Henry Watson No 291316 service) record I was wondering if you guys could have a look for me and let me know what sort of involvment the ships had that he served on during the war. Any help with this would be very much appreciated as I would like to add a few leaves to his branch, thanx

All The Best Mat

Mat,

The most interesting ships (as opposed to shore stations like Victory II) I can make out are:

Royal Oak, Royal Sovereign class battleship, sold for breaking up in early 1914.

Andromeda, a Diadem class cruiser in the Med in 1899 to 1902, training ship by 1913.

Terrible was a big protected cruiser that was often laid up.

Good Hope: armoured cruiser, commissioned 1902, sunk at Coronel with the loss of all hands on November 1, 1914. She served in hoime waters early in her career.

Blake was a protected cruiser tha was converted in 1906 to be a depot ship.

Illustrious: pre-Dreadnaught battleship of the Majestic class, in reserve at Portsmouth in 1910-1911.

Neptune: Dreadnaught battleship, served at Jutland etc.

Your grandfather's main wartime service was on Fearless, a light cruiser that served as leader of the 1st Destroyer Flotilla at Harwich August 1914 to 1916, then became the leader of the 12th Submarine Flotilla, Grand Fleet ('K' class submarines) and involved in the "Battle of May Island", in which several K-class boats were lost in collisions. Fearless rammed and sank K 17.

Victory II would have been a shore installation.

Best wishes,

Michael

Soapy,

If you wish you can details of the ships from the following website:

www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/

Best wishes

David

Hi,

Michael,

Thank you for your reply I have now got something I can start to look into now. :D

David,

Thanx for the link I,ll check it out. :D

All the best Mat