Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clarence Ambrose Cherry

michaelwarlow

Hello All,

I am told my great uncle Clarence Ambrose Cherry, joined the airforce and was "possibly" killed right near the end of the war.

He has quite an unusual name, I was wondering how I could find out any information on him?, there does not seem to be any online resources i can find.

Many thanks for your help

Regards

Mike

Edit:

Forgot to mention , he is also supposed to have been in Nigeria at some point in the war years, were people stationed there?

I have checked the CWGC website and he does not appear on that. I have also checked the online MICs and he does not appear on there either.

Andy

Thanks, I always thought those sites were just for the army and never included the air force?!

Just to add he is in Swindon, Wiltshire on the 1901 census, he is down as Clarence C Fletcher on it, because his mother remmarried. The same as my grandad is down as Gilbert C Fletcher. My grandad joined the army and got married - both using his Cherry surname (Gilbert Nelson Cherry), so i would assume Clarence would have kept using it to.

Mike

I had a look through Chris Hobson's authoritative book Airmen Died in the Great War, and I can't find a Clarence Ambrose Cherry or Fletcher listed.

Service in Nigeria is certainly possible. You might like to look at Hew Strachan's The First World War Volume I: The Call to Arms, ISBN 0 19 820877 4.

Regards

Gareth

Mike,

I hope this might be of interest.

(Hadley Cemetery, Telford, Shropshire. I have a higher defintion version of this, plus a couple of others. Email me if you would like to have them).

Chris

post-2647-1123847152.jpg

Mike

The Clarence C Fletcher in Swindon in 1901 isn't the same person as the chap buried in Telford. The 1901 census shows CCF to be born in 1882, which would mean he was 36 in 1918. The man in Telford is just 23. Also, CWGC for the man in Telford says his mother is Christina, whereas the man in Swindon in 1901 is the son of Eliza.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks for the info, but yes it will be to young to be mine. Also i really would think he would be known as Clarence Ambrose Cherry, as his brother Gilbert definitely used that name still, but theres always a chance he adopted the fletcher name while his brother never. Many thanks for your interest and help though, much appreciated.

Mike

The Lt C A Fletcher MM, whose headstone is shown in Chris's post, was Lt Charles Alexander Fletcher MM, formerly with the Worcestershire Regiment, and a native of Hadley. He was serving as an observer at No 1 Fighting School at Turnberry when he was killed with his pilot, Lt James Stanley Brown (formerly 5th Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment), in an accident while flying in DH 9 C1372 on 20 October 1918. The aeroplane stalled during a climbing turn, and fell into the sea.

I don't think that he's your man.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

Mike

On the 1891 census, the family is shown as “Cherry”.

Living in Chalford Hill, Bisley, Gloucester, Eliza is 33 and a widow. She has Gilbert (10), Clarence (8) and Blanche (6). The children are all shown to be born in Chalford, Gloucestershire.