Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

certificate of education

theraven

is there anybody out there who can help me understand about the army certificate of education , when where they introduced and for what reason. were there different class of certs and who recieved them ,was it just for regulars or did tf have them. was it compulsery or optional done at the begining of service or at the end ?

any help please

raven

I know nothing on this matter re. TF.

Reason straightforward enough: literate and numerate soldiers were needed for all sorts of tasks: signalling, scouting/map reading, company and HQ clerking, pioneers, musicians ........

Regular Army had Class 3,2, and 1. from at least 1900.

Totally voluntary, but a soldier needed Class 3 after c. 1905 to qualify for Proficiency Pay. Class 1 was mandatory for those applying for a commission from the ranks. The army provided the teaching.

My grandfather, who joined up in 26th April 1906, gained all three Certificates of Education - the 3rd class one while he was still at Brecon (home of the South Wales Borderers) in May 1906. I have all three certificates in my possession.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PROCONSUL

"Regular Army had Class 3,2, and 1. from at least 1900.

Totally voluntary, but a soldier needed Class 3 after c. 1905 to qualify for Proficiency Pay. Class 1 was mandatory for those applying for a commission from the ranks. The army provided the teaching."

Yes, the ACE1, 2 & 3 may have been voluntary in the early 1900s but, certainly by the mid 1900s while they were still optional you could not become qualified for promotion to a higher rank without the right tick in the Education box.

A soldiers annual report had three areas in whcih he had to be deemed proficient in order to be qualified for consideration for selection to the next higher rank. Sgts needed ACE 2. Warrant Officers needed ACE1. Many a good soldier did not get promoted because he could not pass ACE1. The RAEC ran HECs (Higher Education Centres) to help soldiers over this difficult hurdle for many.

The other requirements were trade or Corps skills and military/weapon skills. I suppose today's army must do much the same.

Officers also were debarred promotion to higher rank if they failed their promotion exam.

"Regular Army had Class 3,2, and 1. from at least 1900.

The other requirements were trade or Corps skills and military/weapon skills.  I suppose today's army must do much the same.

Don't know about today's army, but in 1968 I sat and passed ACE1 (also called senior test) after one years service as an army apprentice at the age of 16. This was compulsory, and if I'd failed I would not have been allowed to continue as an apprentice tradesman. The subjects were: Maths, English, Engineering Science, Engineering Drawing, Workshop Processes, Physics and General Studies.

Also, there were compulsory trade tests and miltary training certificates to contend with; TII & MTCII being the minimum standard required, alongside ACE1, to pass out as L/CPL & become a full screw several months after qualifying (TIII & MTCIII being taken 2 years into the apprenticeship). To reach Sgt, TI was needed. Artificer ranks above Sgt also needed MTCI & the passing of a tiffy course.

Cheers - salesie.

From the above posts, I gather that that a particular qualification was required in order to be considered for promotion.

But, presumably, this essential requirement was igored in the case of battlefield promotions?

Best wishes

David