Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. Sidney Godley VC nickname

J Banning

Hi all,

I heard recently (cannnot exactly remember where from) that Pte. Godley VC, 4th Bn., Royal Fusiliers had the nickname of 'Mud'.

Has anyone ever heard of this and can provide details of why he had this nickname? Still scratching my head about this!

Many thanks

Hi all,

I heard recently (cannnot exactly remember where from) that Pte. Godley VC, 4th Bn., Royal Fusiliers had the nickname of 'Mud'.

Has anyone ever heard of this and can provide details of why he had this nickname?  Still scratching my head about this!

Many thanks

Not sure about the nickname but Private Godley was the first Private to be awarded the V.C. in WW1.

After his capture the Germans were so impressed he had been awarded the V.C. he was invited to share Christmas lunch with the prision camps officers.

Roland.

post-6634-1123070465.jpg

Couldn't find any reference to the nickname, but enjoyed reading about his experiences.

http://www.zyworld.com/felbridge/handouts/Godley.htm

Anybody know whether the office block was named as suggested in the article?

I had a look in Google and came up with this and it DOES seem that the block of flats has been named after him.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/archive...t_forgotten.php

Just bumping this one back to the top in the forlorn hope that someone who knows the answer may have missed it.

Cheers

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
The article that mentions Mr. Godley's nickname is at http://www.nationmaster.com/

(Sidney Godley insisted on the "Mr." when I delivered his morning paper in the 1950's - I did not know then who he was, unfortunately)

Thanks Bill, just seen you replied to this back in November. How remiss of me not to spot this.

Found the article on that web site - after all this time I find that it is because of his playing football and being covered in mud when leaving the field!

Cheers for your help

Not sure if this is of interest, but I did a drawing of Godley in action:

I sold one of these to his niece, who had only just the day before buried his last remaining sister..... :(

post-4474-1144400993.jpg

• 3 years later...

QUOTE (Ralph B @ Aug 3 2005, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,

Has anyone ever heard of this and can provide details of why he had this nickname? Still scratching my head about this!

Many thanks

Hi Pte. Godley is/was my great Uncle. My Grandmother's brother - he had no known nickname of Mud that I have ever heard of - The Ole Bill character was named after him after Bairnsfather met him on a train as they went to France together.

Not sure if this is of interest, but I did a drawing of Godley in action:

I sold one of these to his niece, who had only just the day before buried his last remaining sister..... :(

And I have still got it, now framed, thank you! :rolleyes: Regards Denise x