Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Miraumont (Somme)

Malte Znaniecki

Notice the smiling Tommy still holding his Lewis?!

Malte - keep posting the pics ... they're great. Now if you have any of Thiepval or Schwaben area ... I'd be well pleased!

Des

Hi pals

I am going to do this to each theme interesting in this forum.

I started a new kind of topic today (in a way it's an album somehow).

If you look after "pics to regard and for use" you'll find a new topic to a town, a battle, of soldiers and so on ... and so on, which will be completed and grow during the time. And everybody interested is invited to attach.

I think this great forum with all its wonderful members is the right place to do this.

until soon

Malte

Malte,

Sounds great, your pictures so far have been very interesting.

Alan

Hi Malte

A very interesting photo, Andrew points out the Tommy still hold a Lewis Gun, very odd. Also I would love to know what all in the photo are looking at something as got their attension.

Annette

Might it be that the smiling Tommy is actually a German who tried to dress the part of a POW for the camera? Notice the others around him are at attention, and honestly look quite scared (as i am sure most right thinking people would be). It just seems odd that just one POW would be so bold as to make light of the situation.

Andy

If I recall, the Germans would rechamber Lewis guns for German ammunition as they had no light machine guns. I am inclined to think the gentleman is actually a German.

This is one for the uniform experts!

Neil

"Might it be that the smiling Tommy is actually a German who tried to dress the part of a POW for the camera?" - Why would they do this Andy?

Looks British to me - buttons, cut, NCO stripe - but I'm not an expert on uniforms so I'd welcome correction.

Is the chap to his right (our left) wearing a pickelhaube?

Why? Just because... I am not saying that is the answer, but I think his smile, holding a weapon, and the demeanor of the others indicate there is something 'different' about this one particular guy. My scenario is that he put on a tunic and picked up the Lewis to cheese-it for posterity.

Yes it does appear as if the man beside him has a pickelhaube.

Andy

Andy: I was just wondering if you'd come across other circumstances of them doing this - I wasn't being dismissive of the idea.

However I'm not convinced. I've seen, as I'm sure you have, many examples of Tommies posing in Pickelhaubes and brandishing Luger's and the like, but never one in full uniform!

• 4 weeks later...

Miraumont. At the main gathering point for a clearing station (?). English POWS before being sent to a divisional POW camp. Battle of the Somme July 1916.

"Miraumont. At the main dressing station of a medical coy

British prisoners awaiting transportation to Divisional HQ

(Battle of the Somme, July 1916)"