Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Givenchy attack 25th Sept 1915

MParnham

Does anyone know a good source of information about this action? My wife's great uncle (2nd Oxs Bucks light infantry) was killed during this attack (He was one of 2 sons killed within 3 months of each other. The shock sent their mother - my wife's great grandmother, insane - she spent the next 20 years in mental institutions). I think it was some kind of diversionary action to the main thrust at Loos. We have a lot of surviving paperwork and letters with details of how he died but little about the action in general.

Thank you.

I can help a little. The attack went in against Infantry Regiment 56, 79 Infantry Brigade, 14th Infantry Division. There are two relevant regimental histories,Das Infanterie-Regiment Vogel von Falkenstein Nr. 56 im grossen Krieg 1914-1918 Martin Schultz, Berlin 1926 and Die Geschichte der 56er. Infanterie Regiment Vogel von Falkenstein Nr 56 Karl Walter Braumann, Bochum 1936. Unfortunately I do not have copies of either book, otherwise I might have been able to provide more information.

The official History Der Weltkrieg 1914-1918 neunter Band p 54 states, ' Further to the south around Festubert and Givenchy thick clouds of chlorine gas driven on a moderate westerly wind covered the trenches of the 14th Infantry Division of Generalmajor von Altrock. They were followed immediately by British asssault troops. German defensive fire brought them to a halt; nevertheless not until some of them had reached the remnants of the barbed wire obstacle. Only to the west of La Bassee, where the two lines of trenches were situated very close to one another, did elements of the British 2nd Division succeed in breaking in temporarily.'

Jack

I can help a little.  The attack went in against Infantry Regiment 56, 79 Infantry Brigade, 14th Infantry Division.  There are two relevant regimental histories,Das Infanterie-Regiment Vogel von Falkenstein Nr. 56 im grossen Krieg 1914-1918 Martin Schultz, Berlin 1926 and Die Geschichte der 56er. Infanterie Regiment Vogel von Falkenstein Nr 56 Karl Walter Braumann, Bochum 1936.  Unfortunately I do not have copies of either book, otherwise I might have been able to provide more information. 

The official History Der Weltkrieg 1914-1918 neunter Band p 54 states, ' Further to the south around Festubert and Givenchy thick clouds of chlorine gas driven on a moderate westerly wind covered the trenches of the 14th Infantry Division of Generalmajor von Altrock. They were followed immediately by British asssault troops.  German defensive fire brought them to a halt; nevertheless not until some of them had reached the remnants of the barbed wire obstacle.  Only to the west of La Bassee, where the two lines of trenches were situated very close to one another, did elements of the British 2nd Division succeed in breaking in temporarily.'

Jack

Not seen that map before Laurent, very useful though.

What is it from?

Also just to avoid confusion it is upside down, north is at the bottom.

L.