Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Expeditionary Force N.Russia

JEB

Having recently completed transcribing my grandfather's diary I've been researching the ships he mentioned to find out what they were. I've found most of them, but I've had little success with the period in 1919 when he was in N.Russia.

After being demobbed in April, he signed on with MMR (presumably merchant navy?) and subsequently sailed for Murmansk and Archangel on a ship carrying troops and cargo for the British Expeditionary Force. He sailed from Tilbury on 14th April 1919 aboard what looks like "the Atlantic liner SS Miminus". Acording to his diary they were carrying the 56th Artillery. I've had no success finding SS Miminus, but it's quite likely that I've misread his writing. Does anyone have any ideas what it might have been?

After arriving in Russia the diary is quite disjointed, and there are mentions of other ships that I've been unable to find information on. The diary doesn't indicate whether they were RN or merchant. The ships mentioned are Lobster (possibly an oiler?), Oyster and Foyler/Foiler (both spellings are used). Also mentioned are the Bacchus and Menominee, which I've managed to find details of.

The final few entries in the diary describe the Tug HMS Retort towing Oyster and Foyler/Foiler all the way back to England from Murmansk via the Shetlands. It isn't clear which ship he was on, but they finally arrived back at Chatham on 13th October 1919.

If anyone can help shed any light on this final chapter of the diary I'd be extremely grateful.

John

John

It looks like he may have signed on for the Merchant Marine Royal Naval Reserve. If he did, then there may well be a record for him at the National Archive in BT 350, Register of Seamen. There is a section that covers 1918-1921. It gives personal details and the name of the ship. You might get lucky and find a photo of him as well, if indeed he did serve in the MMRNR.

Terry Reeves

I am doing/have done some work on North Russia, and recall there is a site out there which covers the naval/ships side - but as I'm away from the home computer, don't remember the link! I will revert when I find it..

One pedantic point - for my own edification, shoot me down otherwise - wasn't in the MERCANTILE Marine in WW1? (Hence the Mercantile Marine Medal)

• 2 weeks later...