Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandfather's Naval Service

philary

Hello Everyone

I am trying to piece together my Grandfather's naval service. I have a copy of his service record fron the date he joined 25th December 1901, to the date he was transferred "Joined RFR Ports B6554, 17th January 1914"

He originally enlisted for 21 years, date to complete 21st October 1921. Does anyone know where the later service records are held? I am hoping to go to Kew later this month.

Thank you

Hilary

Look under the ADM188 series. This will have all his service up to 31/12/1928.

If he left RN for the RFR in 1914, chances are he signed on for an initial 12 years and then did not renew (as was common) for an additional 10 years so as to get long service pension.

Thank you for your reply

I think he must have continued because I have a photo of him in Athens in 1924 in uniform and I know he received a very good pension from the Navy. He was certainly in service through WW1 and for some years after that.

Hilary

As you have his service record, you should have his previous (RN) service number. ADM 188 at Kew is arranged in service number order, so you can look up the microfilm with his record on, which should match what you have.

I would expect him to have been recalled from the reserve during mobilisation in August 1914 and his war service (and post war to 1928 when they changed to card indexes) to have been added in that register, but if he served in a different naval unit and was renumbered there should be a cross-reference entry to show his new number.

Have you checked whether he was in any colonial wars?