Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Troop or Hossy Ship sunk 30/12/1917?

steve fuller

Hi Pals

According to sdgw, around a dozen 5th Bedfords died "at sea" on 30/12/1917. New area to me, so could anyone tell me if a troop ship or similar was sunk then, and explain how / why they were lost?

Many thanks

Steve

Steve,

The obvious answer would be the troopship Aragon was torpedoed and sunk by the German minelaying submarine UC 34 off Alexandria with heavy loss of life.

Best wishes,

Michael

C'mon Stevie,

Get It Together.

There are 25 men of the 5th Battalion who are shown on SDCD. 21 of these are recorded as "Died at Sea" The others are shown as dying in Egypt but were probably rescued and died later in the day.

You've got a copy of me book, just look at Pte Frederick Cyril WESTWOOD and you will see it says: He was amongst 610 men lost on the troopship Aragon when it was torpedoed by U-34. The rescue ship, HMS Attack, was also sunk by the same submarine whilst attempting to pick up survivors.

Your getting "info happy" mate, there's just too much data going into your head. You need to drink several pints of Lager, jump and down singing Land Of Hope & Glory" and then whip a giant chilli kebab down your neck. A short while after, the top blows off of your head and your sorted. There's room to start again!

Your trouble mate, more posts than the Royal Mail!!!! :D:D

Hope this helps.

PAUL J

Michael & Phil - 610 lives?????? Strewth .... thats a dreadful story. Thanks very much for the info guys.

Paul - :lol: info overload is right mate!! Spending upwards of 8 hours a day on it at the mo - trying to get loads completed as I know Im gonna run outta time in the near future. Still, would never have though of looking in ur book to be honest :ph34r: . Live & learn ...

Wait till last nite of the proms & Ill be singing alright!!!!!!!! :D Even the kebab sounds great to me!

Thanks again all