Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The face of the Great War

David_Bluestein

This young man, represents for me the British soldier of the Great War. Pte. 5th Bn. Ox & Bucks. Killed at Arras at the age of 18 years. No known grave

David,

Charles was as old as my eldest son is now. I find it hard to think of my son, Victor, as a soldier, let alone being killed and his body lost.

When I'm around Arras again I'll think of Charles.

Terry

I see he died on 3rd May 1917; I have a casualty to the same battalion, for the same day - also on the Arras Memorial.

While we all know about 1st July, the 3rd May was one of the worse days for the British Army on the Western Front, when more than 5,000 died at Arras - most of them now on the Arras Memorial.

Thanks for sharing that wonderful photo with us.

When I'm around Arras again I'll think of Charles.

Terry

Thanks Terry, that is a kind gesture.

Each time I look at this photo, it leaves me very sad, and always emotional. They were so very young, some of them. I try sometimes to remember me at 18, and wonder what it would have been like to face the same dangers so far from home.

Rest in peace young Charles.

Guest lynsey1

Hi David, thanks for putting the photo of charles up, whenever i see such photo,s i cant help but wonder what lives these young men may have had if they had survived,it is all the more saddening when i think of my own son who is a year older then charles and try to imagine him far from home, fighting a war at that young age.Although none of us knew him, its nice to think that he is remembered just by the fact that we have seen his photo and are thinking of him at this time.May he rest in peace.

lynsey

Its the eyes that get me.I have a similar photo of one of my grandfathers.The eyes show no hope absolutly shattered and full of ?

May they ALL rest in peace for surley by now they have all rissen in glory.

John

David,

I looked at the photo briefly before I left work last evening, taking in the overall view and the name of the young man. Last night as I took my walk I could not get the image of Charles out of my mind, thinking much the same thoughts as have been recounted here by other Pals.

This photo of Charles symbolises what originally drew me to become interested in the Great War. You have certainly named this thread correctly, as he is indeed one of the faces of the Great War.

Cynthia