Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beatrice Elizabeth Stevens

Jim Strawbridge

Beatrice Elizabeth Stevens came from Compton, Berkshire and died at Troyes, France on the 2nd October 1918. I am trying to locate her grave (presumabely in France) so that I can arrange a photograph of it. Can anyone help ?

• 4 weeks later...

Jim

I have found a woman of that name on a list of monumental inscriptions, on the internet, for All Saints, Chilton, Oxfordshire. She is listed as dying in 1918 aged 32. That's not to say she is buried there of course , but it may give a place of burial if it is a memorial tablet. Telephone number for the Rector is 01235 835365. I would be interested to see the outcome.

Terry Reeves

Thank you, Terry. I have made a note to follow this up. I cannot think why she should be commemorated at Chilton, Oxfordshire as she came from Compton, Berkshire and there is a memorial in the church there and her name is on the local war memorial but I see from my map that the places are only four miles apart. She died in Troyes, France and as repatriation of bodies was frowned upon by the authorities she is almost certainly buried there.

Jim

Had a look at the various family records, but couldn't locate BES in Oxfordshire.

There is a birth entry for Beatrice Elizabeth Stevens in Q3/1883 in Wantage, which includes both Compton and Chilton. Going forward to the 1891 census, we find 7 year old Beatrice living at Yew Tree Cottage in Compton, with her parents William and Jane. William was a race horse trainer.

By 1891, the family, including 17 year old Beatrice, lived at Roden House in Compton.

A quick Google on William returned a hit for

http://www.berksfhs.org.uk/journal/Jun2002...portOfKings.htm which touches on the family's acquisition of Roden House, but without mention of Beatrice.

It's obviously supposition that this is the same lady as you are researching, but it feels right.

Hope this is of some use and/or interest.

Just another note.

The memorial at All Saints in Chilcot isn't showing her age as 32. It shows her age as unknown; the 32 refers to a number, presumably of the inscription within the index. Beatrices's parents William Guy Stevens and Jane Stevens are also shown on the index with the number 32.

Looking at other entries on the site http://users.ox.ac.uk/~malcolm/genuki/big/...ilton/Index.HTM, it seems that the researcher has indexed all names on all memorials in the churchyard. I would assume therefore, that the parents are buried there and Beatrice is mentioned on the stone in some way.

Thank you all for this extra information. I am guessing that she must be buried in Troyes Town Cemetery, 85 miles SE of Paris but this is pure supposition.