Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

13 Royal Irish Rifles

Ali Hollington

Hi,

After any details of actions during this time as I have a man who was wounded and taken prisoner. He is recorded in his service record as being a prisoner from 16th.

Regards

Ali

Ali - go to RUR museum website ... downloads ... you can download Cyril Falls Divisional history .. it does not take too long. Scroll to appropriate date .. dare say you'll get some useful info.

If you can't locate it, come back to me. I'm at work but I have this download sub-edited at home.

Des

Forgot ... see here ... I've changed it a bit since then ... but I'm at work so I can't get the new file. Roughly OK with this one.

Des

Superb research- I'm coming at this from a slightly different angle. I'm researching my paternal name and was looking for a William Hollington's service record. Found a few including:

Rfn 42152 William GF Hollington.

enlisted Stratford, Essex on 22/10/1916 aged 19, to France May 1917. Wounded and POW August 16th 1917, returned 21st November 1918.

In his medical board prior he describes his injury as: Shot in Left thigh then whilst crawling back towards own lines shot in the neck. Insome of the documents this second wound is described as the back of the head.

I quess he could be one of the re-inforcements you described as changing the make up of the division.

Regards

Ali

Looked at lists of KIAs from throughout the division for this period ... about 15% are English recruits ... many from London area.

Thought I had a Hollington in my local recruits database but he turned out to be a Hollinger.

Best of luck with your search.

Des

Is there any details to show is soldiers went home at the end of their service or if any when to the home of their regiment, if you see what I mean?

Ali

Sorry - my KIA database purely based on CWGC and SDGW/local newspaper obits.

My mainstream soldier research is based on guys who 'went' from here. It's very parochial; they must have Ballymena and District connections; I would only come across details of 'outsiders' by chance.

I think a good 95% of 'my' lads were happy to get back into civvies!

Des