Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres Memorial milestone

Brummie Nick

Know of any others? I bet most of us didn't even know about the one in Greenwich. I certainly didn't. Thanks for pointing it out, Nick.

Tom

Nick,

Thanks for posting this. I agree with previous posters that it is an unusual stone and one which would not normally be spotted by the casual passer-by. I'll make sure I take a look next time I am in the area and give it the attention it deserves. Amazing what you find when you open your eyes isn't it?!

Cheers again

I've received these directions from a mate who's visited it.

"Just drive towards Kent up Shooters Hill. Half way up the hill is a pub called the The Red Lion, on Red Lion Road.

Opposite the pub is a small church....... just walk into the church garden and the stone is there near the hedge"

Thanks for the directions, Nick - that was going to be my next question.

Incidentally, while not a milestone as such, my wife has just remembered that the war memorial at Ashby de la Zouche has a stone or a plaque mentioning the distance to Ypres.

Tom

YPRES MEMORIAL TREE

Not a stone but in the Garden of Rememberance, close to Lichfield Cathhedral, Staffs, is a maturing oak tree. Not the original as a plaque states this tree was grown from an acorn from the original tree, which itself was grown from an acorn brought back from YPRES. Not a lot of room there so dont suppose they can let the oak grow to its full magnificance.