Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sister M. Wood

Regulus 1

Hi,

Who has any info on Sister M. Wood, was awarded the MM, which after all, only a few women held at the end of the World War.

Thanks and best from Johan

Johan

Sister Minnie Wood was born on 14 October 1880. Her father was a music teacher and had formerly been a woollen dyer [strange jump!]. She was educated privately in Hull, Yorkshire, and trained as a nurse at Salford Royal Infirmary from July 1905 to July 1908.

She joined Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service as a staff nurse on 1st February 1912, and was still a staff nurse at the outbreak of war, although she would have been quickly promoted to Sister - someone might have the exact date in an Army List. She [and others] received the Military Medal from the King in October 1917:

for conspicuous gallantry displayed in the performance of their duties on the occasion of hostile air raids on casualty clearing stations in the field

She was also awarded the Royal Red Cross, and the OBE [Military Division] by the King at an Investiture on December 11th 1919.

Sue

Sue,

Thank you very much, that makes a great additional story for my book on the Military cemetaries of West-Flanders ! I mentioned her at the grave of Nellie Spindler, but had little to tell about her.

Any ideas where she was stationed ?

Best from Johan

Johan

Sorry no, not without looking at her file at the NA, but I'll go through it the next time I'm there and let you know - it might be a couple of weeks.

Sue

Johan

for conspicuous gallantry displayed in the performance of their duties on the occasion of hostile air raids on casualty clearing stations in the field

She was also awarded the Royal Red Cross, and the OBE [Military Division] by the King at an Investiture on December 11th 1919.

Sue

Sounds like quite a lady, Sue.

Marina

Sue,

Most kind, thank you very much !

Best from Johan

Stuart

Unfortunately it's not her - the woman in the picture is a civilian sister, and not a military one.

Regards

Sue

Stuart,

I am most certainly interested, especially in a photo in rather good resolution, my e-mail is regulusone@skynet.be

Thanks !

Johan

Johan,

Sadly, not a photograph, but a newsprint quality image courtesy of War Illustrated, a magazine of the time .

There is no further information.

Scanner is u/s due to PC problems, if I can improve on the image in the future I

will.

regards

Stuart

post-20-1122928216.jpg

Stuart,

No problem, thank you ! I now can put a face on the person as we say here in Flemish, and that is already most interesting !

Best from Johan

• 3 weeks later...

Violetta Thurstan recive MM too .

On the Russian front receive St. George "For Bravery" Medal 4th class.

Anybody know another awards of this Sister ?

post-7013-1124789504.jpg

I think it was just the MM and the RRC [JUST! :unsure: ] I've started a seperate thread about her. The 'action' which led to the MM is described there, and although not dated in the piece, it was August 1917.

... and the 'basics' of course - 1914 Star, Victory and BWM

Sue

Edited by SueL