Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

113th Canadian Lethbridge Highlanders

Neil Burns

Hello,

I have a relative who was in the 113th from January to November 1916. I saw the article in Stand To! (Maybe the Bulletin?) on Signal Hill in Calgary which really threw some light on this outfit for me.

Is there any type of unit history for this outfit? I found some info online which indicated they were a Home Guard type outfit stationed to protect a Canadian Pacific Railroad Bridge. Perhaps that is the unit history?? ;)

They eventually went overseas and were broken up for replacements.

Thank you,

Neil

As far as I know this battalion does not have a regimental history. My library is currently in boxes, where I know I have some odds and ends on this battalion (were in the midst of a move!) However I was able to find this:

113th Battalion CEF (Military District 13, Alberta)

Commanding Officer: Lieut. Col W.A. Pryce Jones

Sailed for England: 25 September 1916, with 30 officers and 883 Other ranks.

Headquarters on mobilization: Lethbridge, Alberta

Regimental numbers: Between 736001-739000

Check the Canadian National Archives on line, as they may have some war diary entries for them. Because they were not a 'serviceable' unit I don't think there will be much, but its worth a try.

Good luck

David

Is there any type of unit history for this outfit? I found some info online which indicated they were a Home Guard type outfit stationed to protect  a Canadian Pacific Railroad Bridge. Perhaps that is the unit history??

Hi Neil:

The 113th Bn. was formed in Leithbridge Alberta, on December 22, 1915 and were disbanded on September 15, 1920. They were absorbed by the 17th Reserve battalion in Europe. Only a very small percentage of the 262 Canadian infantry battalions wrote battalion histories. I don't see a listing for the 113th in any bibliographies of war unit or personal histories. :(

Garth

I do know that a considerable number of the 113th men were drafted into the 85th Battalion (Nova Scotia Highlanders) before that unit went over to France to join the 4th Division. The 85th has some published history. There is a web site with a transcription of the nominal role as well as a promise to post a transcription of the Regimental History "Real Soon Now".

You can find it at: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~e...ssage/85th.html

If you have your relatives name you can get him researched. I think that the unit was broken up and used as reinforcements for other units.

Dean Owen

Hi Dean & James,

My Great Uncle ended up a replacement in the 16th CEF from the 113th (see my signature below). It just seemed they spent so much time in Canada someone may have taken the time to write at least a summary.

Hi Paul,

I found a website for the Calgary Highlanders but I didn't see anything about the 113th. I may have missed it could you please send me the link.

Thanks,

Neil