Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GHQ reserve companies

My Grandfather went to war with 90 MT Company (which became the 1st Auxilliary Omnibus Company) however, on his demob certificate he is recorded as being in 20 GHQ Reserve MT Coy. When I visited the Logistics museum and spoke to the curator he stated that this would have been 1118 company who were in Mesopotamia. Now I am confused... did he stay in France/Belguim or did he go to Mesopotamia? Can anyone help please?

Mir-Cat,

It would appear that the curator of the Logistics Museum may have made an error or that the company in question was transferred to another front after the cease fire on 11th November 1918, but I have my doubts that it was transferred.

According to my source 1118 Coy,Army Service Corps was allotted to No.20 G.H.Q. Reserve M.T. Company which on the 11th November 1918 was still serving in France/Flanders. This information is taken fron the Order of Battle for November 1918.

Graham.

Interesting dilemma, The "Army Service Corps, 1902-1918" shows the 1118 being formed on 21 August in the Mespot OOB as a an Auxiliary Petrol Company before being assigned to 20 GHQ Reserve MT company.

Might it have started life in Mespot before being sent to France or was formed for Mespot but never made it.

Unfortunetly, no War Diary for this unit, but the 1117 ASC company has the same problem as being shown as a Mespot unit (Aux Petrol Company)but still showing on the 11 Nov 18 OOB for the BEF as the 19th GHQ Reserve MT Company. However, the 1117 does have a War Diary WO 95/136. Interesting to see what this diary says.

Joe Sweeney

Thanks very much - I suspected he didn't leave France as on the demob it states in section where served as "France". The war diary for 1117 may help shed some light. Thanks again.