Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with MIC notes 1/Devonshire Regt

LtColSki USMC0302

Hello,

I'm trying to sort out exactly what this MIC is telling me about Pte Hansford. Hopefully someone who is a dab hand at Regimental numbers will be able to explain why his number appears to have gone from 5282 to 28339. Each medal in the Trio carries the 5282 number and the rank of Pte.

Additionally, if anyone can decipher the acronyms on the bottom I would appreciate it. It looks like he was re-issued the BWM and VM, perhaps to replace lost medals? Thanks.

Regards,

~Dan

post-6098-1122730683.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just a re-visit on this thread:

I have since been told that it would appear his 1914 Star, Clasp and Roses were issued on 28 June 1920 and that the annotation on lower right pertains to the War and Allied Victory Medals being 'returned' and a Certified Receipt Voucher having been issued on the date shown by the authority holding the medals.

Anyone else have anything to add to help me. Does his original number in the Devons relate to when he signed up? If so, what time period are we looking at? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

~Dan

Does his original number in the Devons relate to when he signed up? If so, what time period are we looking at?

The early 4 Figure number would be his original Number,relating to his enlistment,or recall from the Reserve,I would suggest an enlistment with this sort of number to have been around early to mid 1900's{Many Boer War 1899~1902 Regulars had such numbers in the 5000 range in many Regiments,[Ref:from their Casualty Rolls]}

Also most 1914 Star Holders were already serving{often with many years service under their belts} or were Recalled from the Reserve in 1914,retaining their original Number.

The 5 figure number would suggest a transfer to another Devonshire Regt Battalion,he also served with the Hampshire Regt. & the MiC indicates he was Discharged[Disch];though it is apparent that no SWB was claimed,as no Roll Page Number is given.

Thanks for the information on the numbers. Perhaps I'll be able to get a look at the Boer War rolls for the Devons and see if he happens to appear. Is there a definitive work which will "make one smart" on the regimental numbering system? Thanks.

~Dan

. Is there a definitive work which will "make one smart" on the regimental numbering system? 

Sadly not I think Dan,just familiarity over years,many years of seeing various Numbers "come up" in Rolls,on Medals,in Gazettes & SDGW etc,Army in WW2* {in the UK} is much easier,as numbers were permenant,A man given a number retained it throughout his service,where ever he went[in most cases ] Each Regiment/Corps being assigned it's own series of Numbers.

* actually instigated in the Mid Twenties.

It seems quite likely he was discharged as "Time Expired" ie having completed his 12 years (+1 for there being a war on!) early on in the war. He may have volunteered subsequently or was then conscripted hence the new number (28339?). The final number would indicate extension of service post-war. It is possible that his pair was originally named to him as 5282 Pte X, whereas he would appear to have held the rank of Acting Sergeant during his second enlistment. Therefore perhaps the pair were returned to be corrected with his higher rank on them, especially if he was still serving.

Just a thought.

Steve