Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W T Forshaw VC

Guest wrinklyone

Guest wrinklyone

Forshaw was awarded VC following an exploit at Suvla Bay. He held a position for 41hrs by throwing bombs, many of which were DIY, made by filling empty jam tins, and lighting them with his cigarette. Apparently this gave him a slight cough ...

Like many others who were awarded medals for conspicuous gallantry, Forshaw had 'problems' after demob. He became a teacher at Holyport, Berks, but for many years his final resting place was not known. Being in the Manchesters it was thought that he was buried 'up north'. Ultimately, however, it was found that his unmarked grave is at Touchen End, near Maidenhead, and a 'near this spot' CWGC stone was placed there not so many years ago.

It is now intended to place a plaque on the house where he lived at Holyport.

Interestingly, it appears that his wife Sadie took part in the campaign, as a QARANS nurse on board hospital ship Goorkha.

Lt William Thomas Forshaw VC 1/9th Batt Manchester Regt (TA) 9 Sept 1915.

For most conspicuous bravery and determination in the Gallipoli Peninsula from the 7 to 9 Aug 1915.

When holding the north-west corner of the " Vineyard " he was attacked and heavily bombed by Turks, who advanced time after time by three trenches, which converged at this point, but he held his own, not only directing his men, and encouraging them by exposing himself with the utmost disregard of danger, but personally throwing bombs continuously for 41 hours. When his detachment was relieved after 24 hours, he volunteered to continue the direction of the operations. Three times during the night of the 8-9 Aug he was again heavily attacked, and once the Turks got his revolver, he led his men forward and recaptured it.

When he rejoined his batt he was choked and sickened by bomb fumes, badly bruised by a fragment of shrapnal, and could barely lift his arm from continuous bomb-throwing. It was due to his personal example, magnificent courage, and endurance that this important cornerwas held.

In Maj & Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide to Gallipoli Book. Lt Forshaw VC is the only Gallipoli VC not in the book. How can you forget a VC holder. So this is my tribute to a Manchester Regt VC.

Wrinkly one - is this something you've done, arranged the plaque or got the gears in motion? I've started something similar for Daniel Burges VC - died in 1946 - no grave (he was cremated) or plaque or even a marker!

Today I've managed to get almost a full page in the local paper about who he was and what I'm trying to do about it.

Les.

Wrinkly one - is this something you've done, arranged the plaque or got the gears in motion? I've started something similar for Daniel Burges VC - died in 1946 - no grave (he was cremated) or plaque or even a marker!

Today I've managed to get almost a full page in the local paper about who he was and what I'm trying to do about it.

Les.

Forshaw isn't really forgotten, his VC and presentation sword are on display at the museum of the manchesters in Ashton, also a secondary gallery there is named after him

Guest wrinklyone
Wrinkly one - is this something you've done, arranged the plaque or got the gears in motion?

I can't claim the credit for this! Terry Nicholson, who lives in Bracknell, is the Berkshire County Volunteer co-ordinator for the War Memorials Trust (which used to be the Friends of War Memorials), and he has been the leading figure in the project. I heard about it through him. It has been well publicised in the local newspaper (Maidenhead Advertiser) but, unfortunately, no local authority would assist, so it is being funded entirely by contributions.The unveiling is to take place next week but, sadly (?) I shall be away on hol. The plaque will then be illuminated for 41 hours, the length of time Lt Forshaw chain-smoked.

Good luck with your own project.

I can't claim the credit for this! Terry Nicholson, who lives in Bracknell, is the Berkshire County Volunteer co-ordinator for the War Memorials Trust (which used to be the Friends of War Memorials), and he has been the leading figure in the project. I heard about it through him.  It has been well publicised in the local newspaper (Maidenhead Advertiser) but, unfortunately, no local authority would assist, so it is being funded entirely by contributions.The unveiling is to take place next week but, sadly (?) I shall be away on hol. The plaque will then be illuminated for 41 hours, the length of time Lt Forshaw chain-smoked.

Good luck with your own project.

was there any contact with the museum or the regiment?

hiya wrinkly one,major forshaw died of a heart attack while out gardening at his home,fox earth cottage in holyport,he was 53 at the time,his grave was unmarked for many years,a stone was erected in 1994,chris is right,he was born at fairfield in cumberland,theres a plaque on the main gate of the disused ladysmith barracks at ashton and theres one outside the regimental museum where his medals are,dont know whats happened to it now the museums moved,the headstone is not on the exact spot,it may be because there are others buried in the grave,not sure,bernard

well he's still being remembered in manchesters museum

enough?

are any of them?

i'll try and find out about that plaque

chris

Guest wrinklyone

Yes, I know that Terry is in touch with Capt Bonner (probably promoted by now, but he was a Capt some years ago when he attended the unveiling of the cwgc headstone at Touchen End with a small regtl party- I was there too). Also Terry has attempted to contact the CO of the regiment, but he is in Bosnia at present.

The church at Touchen End has been deconsecrated and the small cemetery there is a rather sad, isolated place, though reasonably well cared for. There's a WW1 Royal Berks man tucked away in the undergrowth.

The site of the plaque to be unveiled next week is at Fox Earth Cottage, Holyport, as you mentioned, Bernard.

The plaque will also bear WTF's wife's name. Apparently he thought that it was Sadie who merited VC rather than him, no doubt because of the work she was required to do on the off-shore hospital ship.

Yes, I know that Terry is in touch with Capt Bonner

i doubt if you could have a better contact than Bob Bonner, he's done some sterling work on the Manchesters

Apparently he thought that it was Sadie who merited VC rather than him, no doubt because of the work she was required to do on the off-shore hospital ship

what can you say? the humility of these heros is over whelming :)

I cannot imagine why Lt. Forshaw was over looked by the Holts, but there is a chapter on him in Stephen Snelling’s book ‘VCs of the First World War – Gallipoli’

On the days in question Forshaw led two platoons of the 9th Manchesters’ A Company which was then known as ‘Ashton’s Own.’ Other members decorated for their part in this action were 2nd Lt Cooke who received the MC and Cpl Bayley and L/Cpl Pickford who each received the DCM.

In 1917 Capt Forshaw transferred to the 76th Punjabis, Indian Army, and took part in four frontier campaigns before retiring in 1922. Finding a teaching job hard to come by Forshaw spent two years with the RAF Educational Service in Egypt, before returning to the UK in 1925. Twice he started a Prep School for boys but went bankrupt in the end. Finally he joined Gaumont British Films and specialized in Industrial Film Production. Apparently he was a keen photographer even when in Egypt and on Gallipoli, and the Ashton newspapers published several of his photographs at that time.

During WWII he was a Major in the 11th City of London (Dagenham) Battalion of the Home Guard and later he became a Staff Officer. He died at Holyport on 26 May 1943 having suffered a heart attack while cutting his garden hedge.

Regards

Michael D.R.