Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal ribbon identification

Muerrisch

A tip for those interested in medal ribbons as a means of learning more from a photograph.

One can still buy just about any medal ribbon from reputable dealers or indeed military tailors. Some are modern runs and a bit off-colour, but the design is usually correct.

Buy all the ribbons you are interested in, mount them in likely combinations on card in the small bar-type sections used when worn without medal. Be careful to mount them in the correct sequence. This is to be found in all reputable medal books.

Now the clever bit. Photograph them with black and white film, or even scan them and print in greyscale. Subject to differences in colour rendering between modern film and 14-18 film [or indeed any other period], you now have a good guide to identification.

I did this years ago and my set of photos is in frequent use.

Another way forward with difficult ribbons is to use a photo of a man with, say the China ribbon, known to be him and his gong, and use it as a standard against other photos.

I dare say that I re-invented the wheel with the above, and just about everyone who is anyone does this. Thats life.