Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.I.R.

joan bourgeois

Joan,

The initials R.I.R. stand for either Royal Irish Regt or Royal Irish Rifles and R.I.F. for either Royal Irish Fusiliers or Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

The seven figure number looks very much like a post war regimental number which were introduced about 1920. The old system was done away with and a new system introduced wherebye blocks of numbers were allocated to regiments and corps.

Now here is the catch 5463766 in the source I have shows that this number was one of a batch issued to the Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry which were 5429001 - 5485000.

The numbers for the Royal Irish Regt are 7109001 - 7143000.

Royal Irish Rifles 7006001 - 7040000.

Royal Irish Fusiliers 7040001 - 7075000.

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 6972001 - 7006000.

The odd thing about all of this is that the Irish units above are not listed in what is known as the "Order of Precedence", in which they are listed by their old Regiment of Foot numbers. They for some unknown reason come after the Rifle Brigade(95th).

Had these Irish units been placed in the correct Order of Precedence their regimental numbers would have been totally different, so it leaves you wondering if there wasn't a reshuffle of numbers after 1922 when the Southern Irish regiments were disbanded?

Hopefully some of the lads who are more aquainted with the post war numbering of Irish regiments may be able to help?

Graham.

Joan,

The initials R.I.R. stand for either Royal Irish Regt or Royal Irish Rifles and R.I.F. for either Royal Irish Fusiliers or Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

The seven figure number looks very much like a post war regimental number which were introduced about 1920. The old system was done away with and a new system introduced wherebye blocks of numbers were allocated to regiments and corps.

Now here is the catch 5463766 in the source I have shows that this number was one of a batch issued to the Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry which were 5429001 - 5485000.

The numbers for the Royal Irish Regt are 7109001 - 7143000.

Royal Irish Rifles 7006001 - 7040000.

Royal Irish Fusiliers 7040001 - 7075000.

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 6972001 - 7006000.

The odd thing about all of this is that the Irish units above are not listed in what is known as the "Order of Precedence", in which they are listed by their old Regiment of Foot numbers. They for some unknown reason come after the Rifle Brigade(95th).

Had these Irish units been placed in the correct Order of Precedence their regimental numbers would have been totally different, so it leaves you wondering if there wasn't a reshuffle of numbers after 1922 when the Southern Irish regiments were disbanded?

Hopefully some of the lads who are more aquainted with the post war numbering of Irish regiments may be able to help?

Graham.

Hi Graham,

Thank you VERY much for your detailed, and informative answer.

Joan