Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

george edward dale 1st battalion royal welch fusil

Guest nhuitson

Guest nhuitson

..we cannot trace it?he has a gazette date of 17/12/1917 but we are unable to find it on the gazette website.would anyone know another way we could find out how he earned it?thanks

The dates given on the search engine of the London Gazette are the dates of publishing and sometimes don't coincide with the actual date on the Gazette masthead.

His MM is in the LG of the 17-12-1917, published 14-12-1917

(Searched for G. E. Dale)

31705 Pte. G. E. Dale, R.W. Fus. ([E] Shrewsbury).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

That said, the LG gives no citations for MMs and you can only estimate when it was won. Around this time you would have to count back about 3 months to around September 1917.

If we're looking at major actions it could be the battle of Polygon Wood (26-9-17 to 3-10-17) or the battle of Broodseinde on 4-10-17, both of which involved 7th Division.

The War Diary or History may mention him, but doubtful, though your best bet is usually local papers.

Steve.

Guest nhuitson

steve-aside from being an obvious insomniac like us (!),you are a mine of information! thankyou.margies father says that his dad would never talk about what he did in the war,but now as he is 83 himself,he wants to appreciate what his father did. i will pass on your info to her-thanks again.sorry if we are asking silly questions

nicky

I can add that he went to France 19 Aug 1916 having enlisted about a year earlier. Born Shrewsbury. He was "transferred" to 1RWF from another battalion of that regiment.

Guest nhuitson

hmm that interesting-we pondered what the shrewsbury bit was.because he was born in gt warford cheshire.

he definitely was in royal welch fusiliers and his name was george edward dale and he definitely won the military cross.that was the only one we could find in the national archives-dont tell me we were looking at the wrong one!?

The Military Cross was for officers. Do you mean the MC or the Military Medal (introduced for "other ranks" in March 1916)?

Steve.

The Gazette indicates that he enlisted in Shrewsbury.

The Ancestry BMD Index (not quite 100% complete as it is) does not list a George Edward Dale born in Shrewsbury, but does have one registered in Runcorn, Cheshire, March Quarter 1891, Vol. 8a, Page 224.

Steve.

Guest nhuitson

hi steve.

george edward dale was born in ashworth lancashire 15.11.1891-that definite.his father was david dale.he is 1901 census living on a farm in middleton south east lancashire.dunno why he would join the royal welch fusiliers?would have thought there were plenty of opportunities in lancashire!

thanking you btw for all your help so far :rolleyes:

The birthplace I offered was that reported by the Regiment's compiler of these things ..... when we next speak, I will ask him how he "knows". Mistakes can happen. It is more likely to be the enlistment place. The RWF recruited extensively outside Wales: traditionally, a great deal in the Midlands and the NW.

And it was an MM.

The Curator, RWF Museum has a transcript of the battalion diary: there is a decent chance that the diary records the award and the action for which it was awarded. There is a search fee but it is modest and likely to be so for the descendent of a decorated RWF man.