Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Isles of Scilly

Guest wrinklyone

Guest wrinklyone

In addition to the six slate CWGC headstones on Tresco (incl one WW2) mentioned in another thread, there is a really touching grave on St Martin (non CWGC) inscribed:

Julius James Hoyer

Mate s.s. Lars Kruse

Born Copenhagen 23.11.1887

Lost at sea 4.2.1917

Caused by enemy submarine

Beloved and mourned by parents, sister and brothers

'God is thy refuge and underneath are the everlasting arms'

Local scuttlebutt has it that u-boats lurked near the Isles of Scilly because no matter what route ships took across the Atlantic they invariably converged here.

Mate Hoyer is obviously not a Commonwealth War Grave being in the Danish Merchant Navy but his grave is in CWGC care.

He is classified as a 'Foreign National War Grave in CWGC Care' and does appear in their database - though with no further details than those given above except that they record the date of death as 07.02.17.

The 1,460 grt Danish steamer Lars Kruse was sunk on February 4, 1917 16 miles north of Ushant by the German submarine UB 18 while on a voyage from Buenos Ayres for Rotterdam with a cargo of 2,300 tons of maize. And yes, U-boats did often operate near the Scillys.

Best wishes,

Michael

• 1 year later...

I can add a little to this, Julius James Hoyer was unmarried and 2. Mate onboard.

"Lars Kruse" was sailing for the "Belgian Relief Commission"

Hi Michael

Do you know what Lafrenz wrote in the KTB about the sinking of "Lars Kruse" concerning ID of the steamer ?

Jörn,

I have UB 18's KTB on microfilm and will have a look (and probably send you a scan) when I next look at microfilm.

Best wishes,

Michael