The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German Memorial Cards

PFF

Have reports of 3 Germans died WWI (two of them are German Memorial Cards)

1) Holzinger, Joseph died 23 April 1915-2nd Company/6th Infantry Regiment.

2) Schulz, "Muskiteer"(?) died 10/9/1916-6th Com/370th(?) Infantry Regiment

3 Upfelbecf, Otto died 11 August 1917-age 37 killed in Romania

(Sorry-card is very fancy German script which I can't read German)

If it would help you, try scanning and posting them and one of us who can read the old script will try to translate them for you.

Jack

Sorry, can't work from those. Please try to scan and post them separately, so we have more bytes to work with. Only the bits with the words on matter for this, preferably blown up somewhat, then I am sure I could give you a translation.

Jack

Zur frommen Erinnerung

im Gebete

an den ehrengeachteten Jüngling

Herrn

Otto Apfelbeck

Bauerssohn aus Gergwies

Soldat in einem Infanterie-Regiment

welcher durch einen Bauchschuß bei

einem Sturmangriff im Sustatal in

Rumänien am 11. August 1917

im Alter von 37 Jahren den Heldentod

für's Vaterland starb.

Beim heißen Kampf im Feindesland

Traf dich die Todeswunde

Die Liebenheim, im Heimatland

Traf schwer die bittere Kunde

O Herr gib ihm die ewige Ruhe

The script is called Fraktura and the common printing font of this time.

If a native -or nearly native- speaker wants to translate the text, please feel free. Otherwise I would try my best later!

Frank

Frank

Thanks for the transliteration. Try the second!

The first one reads 'In devout and prayerful memory of the highly regarded young man, Herr Otto Apfelbeck, a farmer's son from Gergwies; a private soldier in an infantry regiment who, as a result of a stomach wound received during an assault in Sustatal, Romania on 11th August 1917 died a hero's death for the Fatherland at the age of 37.

[Literal meaning of the verse is:]

In the heat of battle in enemy territory,You were mortally wounded

The bitter news was a terrible blow to the loving home back in the homeland.

[The sense and rhythm of the verse which, though heartfelt, is not great poetry would come out in English something like:]

In a foreign land on the battlefield

You received the mortal hit

When news reached home, all those you loved,

Could scarcely cope with it.

Oh Lord, grant him eternal rest.'

Jack

I have had a go at the second one, though I have had some trouble making out some of the words.

It reads 'In devout memory in prayer of the highly regarded young man Joseph Holzinger, son of a farmer from ...? A reservist of 9th Company of the 6th Infantry Regiment , who died the death of a hero for the Fatherland at the age of 28 during an assault on 28th April 1915. RIP. Sweet heart of Jesus be my [salvation?]. Merciful Jesus grant him eternal rest. [These short prayers of intercession, associated with Catholicism, tend to strengthen the thought that he might have been in a Bavarian regiment, as does the fact that 6th Bavarian Infantry Regiment was involved in a series of assualts on the French near St Mihiel at this time.]

Jack

be my [salvation?]. (Rettung=salvation)

He came from Trefling (Oberpfalz , region of Bavaria)

This death cards were mainly coomon in Bavaria. Over 90 % of them relate to Bavarian soldiers, so the units are in general Bavarian. But sometimes you have to be careful. Some Bavarian habitants served in Prussian units or in units from Württemberg as well. I saw also such cards related to Prussian soldiers.

Frank

The caption on the left hand panel is in latin and comprises the final words of Jesus on the cross as reported by St John (chapter 19, verse 30) 'It is finished'. The words of the middle panel are presumably attributed to the Virgin Mary, though I cannot make out the reference. She is saying, 'I will comfort you with a mother's tender love' and I cannot read the right hand panel - sorry. Try another scan!

Jack

The caption on the left hand panel is in latin and comprises the final words of Jesus on the cross as reported by St John (chapter 19, verse 30) 'It is finished'. The words of the middle panel are presumably attributed to the Virgin Mary, though I cannot make out the reference. She is saying, 'I will comfort you with a mother's tender love' and I cannot read the right hand panel - sorry. Try another scan!

Jack