Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Courcelette Cemetery picture

egbert

Is there anybody who has a photo of the former German Military Cemetery from Courcelette ? Any pics appreciated!

Is there anybody who has a photo of the former German Military Cemetery from Courcelette ? Any pics appreciated!

Eggie, I am at work, books at home, but maybe Paul Reed's COurcelette has one and if not he's probably your best bet on finding one.

I guess you are after a period photograph? I was there a few weeks ago, I did not take any pictures but I could describe it... Paul's Courcelette book does have a picture IIRC. All that remains of the original is a few courses of brick just to the side of the modern entrance. The inside is much like any small civilian French cemetery but there is the grave of a CWGC worker of course.

Eggie, I am at work, books at home, but maybe Paul Reed's COurcelette has one and if not he's probably your best bet on finding one.

Paul, I hope the other Paul will read this request! But Paul noI could check his books after today's legal battles are done, maybe this night? (Because tomorrow I am off to an Italian aerodrome)

I guess you are after a period photograph?  I was there a few weeks ago, I did not take any pictures but I could describe it...  Paul's Courcelette book does have a picture IIRC.  All that remains of the original is a few courses of brick just to the side of the modern entrance.  The inside is much like any small civilian French cemetery but there is the grave of a CWGC worker of course.

Thanx Giles, you're right I am looking for a period photo

Anybody knows where Courcelette- Paul is messing around? Need his help!

Giles I have been to civilian cemetery you mention with CWGC worker but think he's speaking of removed German military.

Ahhh, I did not explain very well! What I meant was a period photo of the original German cemetery. Was this not the one that existed to the side of the present civilian cemetery near the N+S practise trenches and quarry area (which is where I was, not the original of course! :) ) ?

Yes Giles, please post whatever you guys have. I need to go catch my plane to Italy now, ciao til next week

Sadly no photo of this cemetery in my book - nor in my possession! Given that it had 2000+ graves one would have thought at least one photo would exist, but in 10+ years of searching I have never seen one. All the usual sources here, and pals in Germany (Alex Fasse et al) have never seen one either. A real mystery!