Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Airfield at Stenay-sur-Meuse 1916.

bob lembke

Guys;

I fully appreciate that this Forum is heavily oriented toward the UK forces in the Great War. However, I know beans, basically, about the air war, and I hope that someone might have a lead for me in this area.

My father was stationed in Stenay-sur-Meuse in the second half of 1916 and sporatically during 1917 (He was in hospital a lot that year). He and his unit had some unusual run-ins with a German air unit, probably a fighter unit, based on an airfield at or within walking distance of this town (close enough for a beer-soaked pilot to stagger to relieve himself).

Stenay was the HQ of Crown Prince Wilhelm's Fifth Army, about 20 miles north of Verdun itself.

I really don't have a clue about the research sources for the air war.

Thanks. If I get some info, I could "tell the tale", which is semi-amusing.

Bob Lembke

Hi Bob,

Jasta 10 was from 28 Oct 1916 till 12 December 1916 stationed at Jametz/Stenay and this looks to be the only unit that fits in this time period, concerning the fighter unit's. I think it was also known as Chassogne Ferme.

Best from Johan

Hi Bob,

Jasta 10 was from 28 Oct 1916 till 12 December 1916 stationed at Jametz/Stenay and this looks to be the only unit that fits in this time period, concerning the fighter unit's.  I think it was also known as Chassogne Ferme.

Best from Johan

Many thanks, Johan. Good to hear from you.

Would the "Jametz" in Jametz/Stenay be a neighborhood of the town, or a "suburb"? Does anyone know where in or nearby the town this field would be? It would be especially valuable as it would closely pin-point my father's barracks.

I will mention the air part of the story; I will probably post the whole story on the "Western Front" sub-forum in a few days. My father was a member of a flame thrower pioneer storm company based in Stenay-sur-Meuse. The company commander, an infantry first lieutenant, was really bad news. He was a coward, never went into battle once (reason he could do this), insulted the pioneers. He also was in cahoots with the sergeant major, who was buggering some of the men.

The latter knew that the CO was stealing from the men's welfare fund. He was taking the money to buy barrels of beer for the glamorous officers of an air unit nearby, in order to ingratiate himself with these heros. He also persuaded the pilots to go and relieve themselves on the mens' barracks when full of his (their) beer. This led to several incidents of guerrilla warfare. Finally the CO came back from the pilots totally loaded at 3 AM, and ordered the sergeant major to get the entire 180 man company up, equipped in combat gear, drew rifles (not their usual weapon), and marched them 3 km. to a manuver ground. He formed them in a skirmish line, barking infantry drill at them, and then cleverly shouted the unfortunate commands: "Take aim on targets of opportunity! Fire!" as he swung his sword down. He was hit with 32 rounds of 8 mm from a single volley, knocking him off his white horse. As my father said to me when he told me this: "And, remember son, I was the second best shot in the company!" The horse was grazed once.

The shocked sergeant-major marched them back and reported the matter, and infantry surrounded their barracks. Officers came in for three days and took depositions. After this and deliberations the infantry pickets were marched off and barrels of beer were brought in for the company. A good storm company was worth a lot more than a crummy lieutenant, who was written out of the regiment's "roll of honor" and became a non-person.

I don't imagine such a pragmatic and humane conclusion occuring in the British or French Armies of the period. I think 8,500,000 men passed through the German Army, and in 4 1/2 years they shot 18 men, according to the Imperial War Museum.

Gareth;

Thanks. I will "take a shot" at the forum you mentioned.

Bob Lembke

Bob,

Unfortunately I'm not very well documented on the non-Flemish airports. The forum mentioned by Gareth is the place to get more information, as you will find some of the best authors there on the matter. People like Greg VanWyngaerden, Rick Duiven, Dan-San Abbott, Peter Kilduff, Norman Franks, Reinhard Kastner, Gunnar Soderbaum just to name a few are most certainly the experts who can help you further with this. I'm also a long term member of this family.

Best from Johan :)