Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer Commissions

PFF

In Norman Franks' book on Red Baron I saw in a bio of one of his victiums a copy of his commission-very fancy and formal document.

Are copy of WWI Officers Commissons kept at Public Record Officer Kew?

WOuld they all be in very formal format?

There are certainly records kept at Kew detailing commissions.

The NA Ref No WO 338 will give you a listing. This will then enable you to view the documents under ref no WO 339. Once found it will give you the forms listed below:

You have Army Form B201 which details an officer's appointment to the special reserve.

There is also an application for appointments to temporary commission, Army Form MT 393.

There is also Army Form W 3361, Notification of First Posting on First Appointment.

If that's a little confusing let me know and I'll try and explain it further.

Steve Smith

Steve: I think that PFF is referring to the actual commission document which is a large document on parchment/heavy paper with embossed seal that officer's received on their commission. They are impressive documents which are not in the PRO but which were sent to the officer being commissioned. Dick Flory

Hello there,

Don't know if this will be of interest to you all, but some years ago there was an article in I believe 'Soldier' magazine about a large amount of unclaimed commissions that was discovered at the department where they were written up, some dating back to the mid-1800's. Fortunately they weren't destroyed but deposited in an archive, but I can't remember which one, but it was probably something like the National Army Museum.

At the time I wasn't making an archive of such items that were discovered and deposited, but I do now. I just wonder if any of the medal collectors in the Forum will remember reading the same article?

Graham.