Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anson Battalion, Royal Naval Division

oak

I'd be very grateful if any Pal who has the Roll of Honour for the Anson Battalion, Royal Naval Division would let me know please.

Kind regards,

Philip

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Alan,

I'm researching the landing at V Beach, Gallipoli on 25 April 1915 and the two days subsequent to it. I have established that two platoons from the Anson Bn. landed there on 25 April. 4th Platoon, commanded by Lt Denholm RNVR, were in boats with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. 13th Platoon, commanded by Sub-Lt. Tisdall, were on the SS River Clyde.

Firstly, if possible, I'd be very grateful if you could tell me to which company each of the platoons belonged.

Secondly, I'd be very grateful if you could tell me what casualties were sustained by both platoons on 25, 26, and 27 April. (I am aware that Tisdall was awarded the VC and was killed in May.) I wouldn't expect that Tisdall's platoon sustained many/any on 25 April, but I would expect Denholm's platoon to have sustained casualties on 25 April. (I appreciate that the Roll of Honour might not mention platoons, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It the event it doesn't, I'd be looking for Ansons killed on the dates mentioned and buried at V Beach Cemetery or listed on the Helles Memorial please.)

Finally, does the Roll of Honour have any information on the V Beach landing, or is it just a casualty list?

Kind regards,

Philip

Philip,

The R.N.D. rolls of Honour were created in May 1996 by the I.W.M., note they don’t claim to be a definitive roll of honour. Similar information is given in these rolls as found in S.D.G.W.

“They are based on a collection of mimeographed casualty slips and lists which were originally in the possession of the 63rd RND Records Office, (47 Victoria Street, London SW1), and which were later passed to the Imperial War Museum by the CWGC.”

I’ve made two checks through the 97 pages that cover the Anson Bn. but surprisingly there appears to be no fatal casualties listed for the 25, 26, or 27 April? The nearest I came across was one, kia. on the 28 April. I then made a check on the Helles Memorial & ’V’ Beach Cemetery listing found in my RND Journals. This list two names from the Anson Bn. from the period in question, with both buried at 'V' Beach Cememtery.

The CWGC web site confirms the following:

MILLICAN, N. A.B., KP/515, 25/4/15, Special Memorial B.50.

McGARRY, C. A.B., Clyde Z/1418, 26/4/15, Special Memorial B.37.

I rechecked the RND Rolls to find both names listed, but kia. on 8/5/15 (?)

You will find a good account of Sub-Lt Tisdall’s action in Stephen Snelling’s V.C’s of the First World War Gallipoli, this mentions Tisdall unit as:

“13 Platoon, ‘D’ Company Anson Battalion, was assigned to the landing force as a beach-carrying party and they had lost three men killed, when a shell burst in No. 4 hold.” (?)

(With regard to Lt. Denholm's 4th Platoon that would have been 'A' Company.)

It account goes on to mention:

“C.P.O William Perring, of 13 Platoon, who made a call for volunteers among the Anson men below decks to help their officer. It was answered by Ldg Smn. Fred Curtis (kia 4/6/15), James Malia and James Parkinson”

Creagh & Humphris, ‘The V.C. 1856-1920’ also mentions:

“C.P.O. Perring, who subsequently was given a commission in the R.N.V.R. was awarded the C.G.M., as also were Ldg Smn. Malia and Parkinson. There is no doubt that a similar award would have been conferred on Ldn Smn. Curtis had he not, been, placed among the missing on 4 June, 1915.”

Regards,

Alan

Thanks Alan,

I am very grateful for the time and trouble you took on this.

Regards,

Philip

• 18 years later...

I have the memorial plaque for John Cherrington Was he a Gallipoli casualty or died elsewhere?

ABLE SEAMANJOHN CHERRINGTON

Service Number: KP/781
Regiment & Unit/Ship

Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Anson Bn. R.N. Div.

Date of Death

Died 25 April 1915

Age 31 years old

Buried or commemorated at

CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

Gallipoli casualty. Buried by Rev. P.W. Clarkson 27/4/15 at sea just off Gallipoli.

It is a pity that his RND record does not show which Anson company he served in but he was a casualty of the initial landings, when the Ansons provided Beach Parties:

'A' Coy and a platoon of 'D' Coy were in action on 'V' Beach;  'B' Coy and HQ Anson Bn, were at 'W' Beach;  'C' Coy and 'D' Coy (less 1 platoon) were at 'X' Beach. 

He was one of eight Ansons killed on that day. His sister claimed his trio of medals.

Edited by horatio2