Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S.S / H.M.S Britannic

jemm

Tonight whilst searching through a old filing cabinet at my local history museum of which I have recently become the Photograph curator I found amongst many other brilliant historical pictures two photographs of a ship named Britannic. The first photograph shows lots of troops on board the ship with members of the public stood at the quayside and says S.S. "Britannic with troops". The second one again shows many men on board and says "Troops on board H.MS. Britannic". At first I thought that maybe this wasn't the Sister ship to Titanic ie Britannic the Hospital ship because all the men look very healthy and the other thing that threw me is they do not look like British Troops.

However when I scanned the photos and looked more closely there is a man in the picture who looks to be in what I can only describe as a small crows nest. On his jumper is written White Star Line.

I still have no idea what nationality the men on board are could anyone throw some light on this for me?

post-4696-1122592611.jpg

post-4696-1122592708.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought to me they look like British overseas or garrison troops pre 1914 and post or around the Boer War. the White Star Line were the owners of the Brittanic Titanic etc. When was Britttanic built and was it used as a Boer War trooper? SG

Tonight whilst searching through a old filing cabinet at my local history museum of which I have recently become the Photograph curator I found amongst many other brilliant historical pictures two photographs of a ship named Britannic. The first photograph shows lots of troops on board the ship with members of the public stood at the quayside and  says  S.S. "Britannic with troops". The second one again shows many men on board  and says "Troops on board H.MS. Britannic".  At first I thought that maybe this wasn't the Sister ship to Titanic ie Britannic the Hospital ship because all the men look very healthy and the other thing that threw me is they do not look like British Troops.

However when I scanned the photos and looked more closely there is a man in the picture who looks to be in what  I can only describe as a small crows nest. On his jumper is written White Star Line.

I still have no idea what nationality the men on board are could anyone throw some light on this for me?

Hi,

The wounded on the second Britannic (Titanic's sistership) were not allowed to wear their uniforms but they had hospital uniforms of different colour. The soldiers in the photo look very healthy and they wear regular uniforms. They may be on the first Britannic, used during the Boer War.

It would be very helpful if you could send the full-size photos.

Best regards,

Michail

There were two White Star liners named Britannic at issue here. The better known one was launched in 1914, completed in 1915, and served as a hospital ship before being lost on a mine in 1916.

The picture I would think was taken though on the other, earlier Britannic. That vessel was launched in 1874 and was of 5,004 grt (length 455ft x beam 45.2ft, two funnels, four masts). She was a very fast vessel for her day and served on the North Atlantic until August 1899, after which she became a Boer War transport. Britannic was scrapped at Hamburg in 1903.

Best wishes,

Michael

They are British or British Colonial, and appropriate for the Boer War. On the originals, can you zoom in on the cap badges?

Regards,

Bruce

I have uploaded a bigger picture of no2 pic because it shows more detail, ie funnels, ladies clothing on the dockside as well as mens uniforms. The first picture is mainly just troops. I think the reference to the Boer War could have some significance, look at the chaps helmet stood to the right of the gang plank.

post-4696-1123626088.jpg