Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The other side of the hill....

Chris Boonzaier

I am working on a book about Iron Cross award documents and thought I would post these, which I found rather interesting. First off is a large board fronm the village of Seifriedsburg in Bavaria showing all the participents in the war.

Then photos of the brothers Valentin and Kaspar Volpert.

Then 2 variations of the EK award document for the 9th Bavarian infantry regt, a copy of the award document for the next of kin cross, them the two letters to the family saying their sons had been killed.

according to the letter on the left, Valentin died at Messines in a british Fied hospital on the 15.6.1917, he was in the 3rd company. The 9th Bavarian regt was to the south of Messines and were sitting on two of the mines. Valentin died of bullet wounds to the chest and spine. Kaspar was killed on the 20th April 1918 in Armentiers, just before the regt participated in the battle for Kemmel. His possesions were sent home (A note book one mark) the family wrote querying that this was all that was sent home and got a tactful second letter pointing out that Kaspar and his fellow stretcher bearers suffered a direct hit by a heavy artillery shell, there was nothing else left to send (!)

post-748-1122573888.jpg

ll

post-748-1122573918.jpg

llll

post-748-1122573938.jpg

jjj

post-748-1122573961.jpg

jh

post-748-1122573984.jpg

gg

post-748-1122574010.jpg

Chris,

Thanks for posting these: I sometimes forget that we were faced by people just like ourselves.