Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd BEDFORDSHIRE where on 8 May 1918?

Chris_B

The following officer was a casualty on 8 May 1918. And from 2nd Wiltshires Diary appears to have been with a party attached to 2nd BEDFORDSHIRE.

HATTON, ERNEST ROBERT

Initials: E R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Wiltshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 08/05/1918

Additional information: Husband of Mrs. T. Hatton, of "Rondos," Dorset Rd., Merton Park, Surrey. Eighteen years service with 17th Lancers. Served in the South African Campaign.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 119 to 120.

Cemetery: TYNE COT MEMORIAL

From 2nd Wiltshires War Diary

"Quiet day. The party attached to 2nd BEDFORDSHIRE Regt rejoined in the evening. This party consisted of 2/Lieuts RS GALLIERS and AC DAVIE and 71 Other Ranks. It was ascertained that this party had been in action on the 8th inst & sustained the following casualties:- 2/Lieut EW PLUMMER and ER HATTON wounded. 7 O Ranks killed, 18 wounded and 37 missing."

Information as to whereabouts of 2nd BEDFORDSHIRE on 8 May 1918 would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.

Here is the War Diary for May 1918.

As you will see 3 officers and 2 OR's are listed from the Wiltshires.

Cheers

Here is the War Diary for May 1918.

As you will see 3 officers and 2 OR's are listed from the Wiltshires.

Cheers

Thanks for pointing that out. That's another resource I had no idea about. Have I missed something elsewhere on the forum? We need a sticky ref to any/all on-line like this.

Chris.

Any Bedfords diaries you need, give me a shout. I have them all with the exception of a few months worth of gaps in 2 of the Battalions. All are on word doc & 75% are formatted (highlighted any names, seperated the dates, months etc etc ...)

Posted this under Unit War Diaries some time ago & a fair number of forum-ites have used it.

There are a fair few other bits & bobs under the Unit War diaries section, should you need something different.

Cheers

Steve