Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Death Plaque

martinmono

Someone presented me with a death plaque this week for one William Edward Mayall that turned up in the Watersheddings area of Oldham, Greater Manchester.

The story behind the plaque is a mystery and it has certainly stumped me.

Soldiers died and CWWG site have no 'William Edward'. There are plenty of Mayalls, many from the Oldham area, but no William and certainly no William Edward.

The only William I can find served with the Worcestershire Regiment and lived in Kidderminster near Birmingham. Can't see it being him, and anyway, he isn't 'William Edward'.

The medal records do show a number of likely candidates - ie, William Edward's from the Oldham area - but they all survived.

Can anybody help me out?

Are sailors included on the CWWG site and Soldiers Died? If not, is this a possible explanation and how would I find out if he was a sailor?

Soldiers died only covers the army, but CWGC covers all services.

Could it be

Name: MAYALL

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 24/08/1918

Service No: 60481

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. C. 10.

Cemetery: HEATH CEMETERY, HARBONNIERES

No, looked into him and he was Walter Mayall - he was born in Oldham, but then so are the vast Majority of Mayall's who seem to have fought in the Great War.

• 3 years later...
Guest Colin H. McInnes
Someone presented me with a death plaque this week for one William Edward Mayall that turned up in the Watersheddings area of Oldham, Greater Manchester.

Hi

This is my first post so not sure if I am doing this corectly.

I have a data base of Mayalls in the area, and thanks to the fact this service man is now included in the CWG site (thanks to a member of this forum) I can let you have his personal history if you want it

Contact me on colinmcinnes@btopenwold for more info

William Edward Mayall

Private 14892

13/07/1919

age 40

Manchester Regiment

Buried at S16D.8366

HONG KONG CEMETERY

Medal Index Card

Mayall William E

Pte Manch R 14892

Pte. Manch R 102617

War and Victory.

Holy Trinity, Waterhead.

30 March 1902

William Edward Mayall, 23, Bachelor, Spinner, 14 Dixon St, James Mayall, Cardroom Hand.

Hannah Maria Cooper, 21, spinster, weaver, 29, Culvert St, James Cooper, spinner.

Both signed

Wit

Alice Ann Gartside,

Robert Gartside.

Baptisams at Holy Trinity, Waterhead.

11/09/1902 08/10/1902 Fred, William Edward and Hannah Maria Mayall 29 Culvert St Minder

25/03/1907 01/05/1907 James, William Edward and Hannah Maria Mayall 6 Cobden St Lap carrier

10/04/1909 20/05/1909 Harold, William Edward and Hannah Maria Mayall 33 Culvert St Minder

03/01/1912 14/02/1912 Mariann, William Edward and Hannah Maria Mayall Culvert St Spinner

29/09/1913 12/10/1913 Oswald, William Edward andHannah Maria Mayall 33 Culvert St Spinner

29/09/1913 12/10/1913 Jack, William Edward andHannah Maria Mayall 33 Culvert St Spinner

21/10/1914 09/12/1914 Jack, William Edward and Hannah Maria Mayall 33 Culvert St Police constable

I will leave it to that to see what gets through.