Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt Thomas G Goodchild R/Fusiliers

Steve Bramley

Hi,

Any Royal Fusiliers out there?

This man was formerly with the Lincolnshire Regiment where he won a MM.

He was later transferred to the R/Fusiliers GS/130560

I have just noticed his name on the Lincs Regt list of subscribers to the OCA as (DCM and Bar)??

Possibly a LARGE typo?

Regards,

Steve.

This is his DCM Citation (LG 9-7-1917, announced LG 4-7-1917) :

240428 Sjt. T. G. Goodchild, Linc. R. (formerly No. 2304).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He has consistently performed good work, and on several occasions, when under heavy fire, has behaved with great gallantry.

So I wouldn't be surprised if he has a bar, too.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

I shall have to delve into this one some more.

Steve.

Yep - Walker's "Recipients of the DCM, 1914-1920" (essential reading - every home should have one) has under Royal Fusiliers, Sgt TG Goodchild, DCM, Bar gazetted 21.1.20, awarded for service with the 46th Bn, RF at Gorodok on 10.8.19 - Russia, obviously. DCM awarded with Linc regt.

Hi,

Thanks Steve, very interesting indeed. I had Sgt Goodchild down as the recipient of a MM (for some reason?). But have checked the 1/5th Lincs history today and found the following quote;

Gommecourt 02/07/16:

'Sergeant T.G. Goodchild showed great courage, going out close to the German wire, and spending considerable time under fire in a determined but unsuccessful search for the body of his Platoon Officer, Lieut. Walcott, who had been killed the night before. This N.C.O. subsequently exhibited conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on several occasions, and was awarded the D.C.M.'

I have never read anything about the subsequent action in Russia. Any ideas as to where I may find out more?

Regards,

Steve.

Personally, no. I don't have the regimental history (O'Neill?), so not sure what, if anything, there is in it about Russian campaigns. I have to say the Russian relief forces are an area of almost total mystery to me, I'm afriad!