Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

176 (H) Brigade, RFA

dave ricketts

Can anyone explain why this unit, locally raised in Leicester in 1915, was disbanded in the August 1916? I note from the main site that a number of these type of units were disbanded in the Summer and Autumn of 1916.

Thanks,

Dave

I think this may be to do with a re-think in the Royal Field Artillery on the correct employment of the 4.5 inch howitzer. I seem to recollect that there was an experiment in parcelling out the Howitzer batteries to the Field Brigades as this fitted there tactical emplyment better and freed up some under employed Brgade HQs. I believe they then went back to Howitzer Brigades later in the war as mixed gun types in the same brigade was complicated in ammunition supply terms.

I think this was part of a re-organisation of the artillery arm which saw the Heavy Battery with its four 60 pounders (which had a counter battery role) removed from Divisional control to allow heavier concentrations of fire to be organised for these tasks.

Field Brigades were also alloted at Army level for the first time to allow speedier concentration of field pieces in key areas.

I don't have my reference books with me, but will try to look this up

PS It is great to see someone from Leicestershire on the forum, my mam and gran and her brothers were all from Belgrave in the City.

Thanks for that. I was not aware that there were mixed units. The only man whose service record I have found to date at the PRO from 176 Brigade was transferred to 152 Brigade. Next time I am down at Kew I will try and take a look at the 176 Brigade War Diary and see if there is any mention of where the men went.

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. I am not a native of Leicestershire, but have been here nearly 23 years.