Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Portraits of Soldiers/Sailors

Ian Underwood

I have just had confirmed the sad fact that when my Grandfather passed away in the early 40s, my Grandmother (most likley in a fit of depression) destroyed all photographs of him, including the ones of him in uniform. I had been trying to track down the photos of him in that my father remembered as a boy, but I fear they're almost certainly lost forever.

Are there any databases of portaits out there in the UK? I hoping that photographic studios of the time may have donated their negatives to the IWM later on in the century....perhaps. The Aust. War Memorial website states they have approximately 10,000 portraits of servicemen they're currently adding to the database.

For the record, he enlisted in the RND, London division in 1915.

Forlornly hoping...

Guest Steve Seaman

Ian,

How spooky , I was just about to post a similar question.I'm currently researching some lads form the London Regt and photographs are v. hard to come by.

Sadly I think you will be out of luck.

heres hoping

Steve

Steve - I have a lot of photos of London men. Let me have a list of those you are researching by email and I will see if I can help.

Try this site - only a tiny percentage of men, but I have been lucky on more than one occasion when looking for local men - a bit of a treasure trove. I had excellent service from them when buying. When you get on to the home page, click on 'Reproduction photos'.

WW1 Photos

Sue

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Ian,

If you mail me his name I will have a look thru my collection - I have about 2,300 WW1 soldier portraits, some are named.

Ian B

I've recently been given a photograph of my Grandad in uniform which I thought was long gone. Unfortunately it was in about five pieces! So just this week I've been in touch with a photo restorer, & apparently all is not lost. So the bits are with him, & I look forward to seeing the result.

Kilty

Not having heard of the site suggested by Sue I went there with eager anticipation. for some reason it cannot be accessed! Must try again some time.

Kilty, some local authority libraries or Record Offices carry an archive of some WW1 soldiers' photographs so that may be worth a try. As a VERY outside chance there may be photos in the church where he is commemorated on the war memorial.

Best of luck.

Chris

I've just clicked on my link and it seems to be working OK for me - perhaps it got overwhelmed by all that eager anticipation! :o

Sue

If you mail me his name I will have a look thru my collection - I have about 2,300 WW1 soldier portraits, some are named.

Thanks Ian, I'll mail you off list.

I was mad my late grandmother last night when I heard the news from a relative, but this morning I'm more resigned to the fact that the photo's are gone. And who knows what goes through the mind of someone who's had their old man drop dead whilst being pregnant with their 6th child, after having survived the blitz in the East End, with your two eldest sons away in the war, an the two youngest having only just returned from being evacuated to country. It's hard to imagine.

Given the photos were destroyed, it's a wonder that she kept his medals at all, which I now have safe.

Ian.

Kilty

One other source I ought to have mentioned - local newspapers. I have had a lot of success from those and quite a number of pictures. It's a long slog sometimes but very rewarding.

Chris

Guest Steve Seaman
One other source I ought to have mentioned - local newspapers. I have had a lot of success from those and quite a number of pictures. It's a long slog sometimes but very rewarding.

Chris,

With reference to local newspapers .Where does one look ,is it the Newspaper library at Colindale or are they archived at a more local level.

Steve

There are many local newspapers at the British Library Newspaper Library at Colindale. A visit the their web site will give you a list of their holdings. I you are thinking of paying a personal visit by car, then get there early, car parking space is limited.

If anybody wishes to know what local archives hold in this respect in England and Wales, let me know as I can probably give you the location and the name(s) of the publication.. There is no guarantee that your relative will be in there of course!

Terry Reeves

Steve

Most counties hold copies of their own local newspapers at County Record Offices or local study libraries - either on microfilm or fiche - your local library will almost certainly be able to tell you where. Quality varies, but they can be a great resource. If there is more than one paper that covers a similar area be sure to check them all - the weekly locals very often took their stories in a cut down version from the 'daily' locals.' Some of it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, but it makes great reading, especially if you can stick to the casualty reports and not get sidetracked by the rather gung-ho, flowery accounts of the action!

Regards - Sue

It often surprises me that when someone posts searching for info about a relative they often say nothing more that "my grandfather" or similar. Can I suggest that it is a good idea to outline what basic info you have. For example name, unit, rank, number, place of birth/residence, school etc. Armed with this there is a far greater chance that someone will come up with something of interest. People out there on this forum have all sorts of info; Rolls of Honour; school rolls; lists of serving men; period newspapers - some as bound volumes etc. etc. The more info that is given, the more likely it is that someone will come up with a lead. I can cite an example of several years ago. Locally a name on a memorial that was being researched had been fruitless over some fifteen years with many "dead" leads. Because a researcher knew the name bells rang when it was spotted in a newspaper (report of wounding) whilst looking for something completely different. This single lead eventually led to the location of the grave being confirmed (he died as a result of war wounds (gas/TB) after being discharged. All the evidence was gathered and presented to the CWGC and a headstone was erected on what had been an unmarked grave. A fitting result of what was 20 years research with the lucky break happening because a researcher was aware of the name.

So Ian - who was he?

Given that we know he was an RND man have you applied to Yeovilton where they probably have his service record.

It could happen to you and your research - but only with a name etc.

Terry

There is usually plenty more car parking space across the road from Colindale Newspaper Library, around the hospital.

Myrtle

It often surprises me that when someone posts searching for info about a relative they often say nothing more that "my grandfather" or similar.

So Ian - who was he?

Given that we know he was an RND man have you applied to Yeovilton where they probably have his service record.

Martin, that's a fine idea, I'll actually post his details up in the Soldiers section over the weekend. He has an interesting story, but most of it was actually spent at sea, and it's this time that represent the 'great family mystery' that I'm trying to solve.

He only spent 3 months in the RND before being discharged for being underage, (he was 16 and half on enlistment and his mother actually had him recalled). I have his enlistment papers for this period, but they show very little. When he re-enlisted at 18 he was put to sea and missed out on the Western Front altogther, but did survive two sinkings.

Ian.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Ian,

Sorry nothing in my collection. You might wish to contact Ashley, Brookes & Jervis. They have circa 1,000 named photos of WW1 British soldiers/airman & sailors. They charge for searches. Their e-mail is:

abmodelmakers@cwcom.net

This e-mail is publicised on the web so before anyone thinks I am opening up someones address to spam, check the militariawebring site.

Ian B