Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo of the dead soldier for next of kin

philary

Hello Everyone

In my mind I am sure my Grandmother showed me a photo of her brother in his coffin. He died of wounds and is buried in Gezaincourt Cemetery Extension.

Were photos taken of dead soldiers for their next of kin, or have I dreamt this one?

Thank you to anyone who can help?

Hilary

hilary,i have never heard of that,but your post brings to mind something i have read a few times in books about soldiers going up to the front and passing stacks of newly made coffins,ready for the casualtys from the forthcoming battle,BUT i dont ever remember seeing a soldier being buried in a coffin nor have i heard it mentioned,have you,bernard <_<

Bernard

Thank you for your response.

Perhaps I ought to clarify that my Grandmother's brother died at a Casualty Clearing Station, 6 days after being wounded. The Clearing Station took over a Chateau in Gezaincourt that was used as a hospital throughout the war. The CCS was there for just 3 weeks!

I am wondering if coffins were sent out to stationary hospitals. Gezaincourt was also a railhead supply depot. Or was the practice for all dead to be buried in a shroud of some sort?

Hilary

you still have a point though,its a good post this,it will be interesting to see what anyone has to say,i would agree with you about shrouds/blankets etc,terry might know,bernard

I believe that photographing the dead was quite common in Victorian times, but I've never heard of it in relation to the war. It does seem entirely possible though.

Swizz

I believe that photographing the dead was quite common in Victorian times, but I've never heard of it in relation to the war. It does seem entirely possible though.

Swizz

There was an earlier thread, on similar topic, that included a photo of the, possibly dead, soldier.

He was Australian. Was he a VC winner?

Someone will know.

I thought i had read about a VC winner being photographed after he'd died but wouldn't post until i was sure where i'd seen it

Walter Mills 1/10th manchesters

On December 10 / December 11, 1917 at Givenchy, France, after an intense gas attack a strong enemy patrol tried to rush our posts, the garrisons of which had been overcome. Private Mills, although badly gassed himself, met the attack single-handed and continued to throw bombs until the arrival of reinforcements and remained at his post until the enemy had been finally driven off. While being carried away he died of gas poisoning but it was entirely due to him that the enemy was defeated and the line remained intact.

29966148-S.jpg

photo from Bill Mitchinsons book, but the same photo is in several books

Wow really interesting... I did find something like this a little while ago on the Victorian books of the dead somewhere on the web.....

What an interesting (if somewhat morbid) website. To briefly continue the non-war theme, these kinds of photos feature in the film 'The Others' - though of course to say how would be to give the game away! :ph34r:

What an interesting (if somewhat morbid) website. To briefly continue the non-war theme, these kinds of photos feature in the film 'The Others' - though of course to say how would be to give the game away!  :ph34r:

they are a bit sad ( to say the least) especially the ones with the children

(the others? was that the film with the lovely ms kidman?)

(the others? was that the film with the lovely ms kidman?)

Aha, directed by Alejandro Amenabar.

Gloria

I recall watching a documentary on the "Red Baron" recently and it did show photographs taken after his death.Clearly he was a celebrated casualty and the Authorities were keen to undertake a post-mortem to establish his cause of death.I do not think the photographs were taken for any glorification.

I can imagine some photographs may have been taken to, for example, improve medical treatment but I would not have thought this was commonplace.The only photograph that was supplied in my relative's case was a photogrph of his grave.

George

I can imagine some photographs may have been taken to, for example, improve medical treatment but I would not have thought this was commonplace.The only photograph that was supplied in my relative's case was a photogrph of his grave.

George

i just think there was a different perception of death (and of the bodies) of their relatives, that just wouldn't be understood in this age, and the photos were to celebrate their lives. open coffins during the mourning period were common

I thought i had read about a VC winner being photographed after he'd died but wouldn't post until i was sure where i'd seen it

Walter Mills 1/10th manchesters

29966148-S.jpg

photo from Bill Mitchinsons book, but the same photo is in several books

There is also a photo of an Australian in the archive.

Either further down this same thread, or in another thread inspired by it.

Beppo

you have just reminded me of another bit of information about Walter Mills,

his nickname was 'Spud' :rolleyes:

Harribobs,

I agree with you re attitude to death.

Growing up in Scotland in the 1950/60's I've attended Family Funerals when prior to the Ceremony the Coffin was open and Relatives were encouraged to view the deceased.Comments being along the lines of "Oh she really looks peaceful,etc".In the case of My Grandmother. My Mother was unhappy she could not allow the Coffin to be left open as she felt her Mother did not look pretty enough.

I'm not being morbid the explanation I received from my Parents was that as death was reasonably common-place they felt I should become used to it.I am sure I am not the only one on the Forum who was brought up with this attitude to death but I must confess I do not know what the modern attitude to seeing Relatives after death is.

I am sure in the Wild West,photographs were taken of notorious Bank Robbers,etc after they were killed for public glorification.

I cannot imagine,though,that Soldiers Relatives would have been happy to see the effects of explosives,etc on a loved ones body.I could understand a last photograph been taken of casualty returned to UK for treatment but I stress this is only supposition.

George

I do not know what the modern attitude to seeing Relatives after death is.

I don't know, George, but can say that I travelled back to Mid-Wales just a few years ago for my dad's funeral, and everyone said you'll want to see him before the funeral, so I did and am strangely glad I did. It wasn't in any way morbid or creepy. It was him and it wasn't him if you see what I mean.

Jim

Jim,

You'll not mind if I remain objective in view of your personal memories.

The main reassurance seems to be that the deceased is at peace and Relatives gain comfort from this.Similarly I would suggest the same from photographs.

With historical Criminals. I can understand photos of the effects of their violent death would assure people that they received their just reward.

I am not convinced that loved ones would like to see the effect of War on their deceased loved ones especially in view of the letters received from Officers that he died peacefully,at once,etc.When we now know that the reality could have been very different.

George

Interesting ... just one thing. Over here in Northern Ireland at least, it is part and parcel of the mourning period for people on the day of funeral (if held from house) to go in, shake hands with family and then view the open coffin.

One woman I know made the point to her husband ... "when I go, make sure they put my eyes on." Meaning, she was well made-up!

Personally, it freaks me out but I've had to do the viewing on several occasions.

Des

One woman I know made the point to her husband ... "when I go, make sure they put my eyes on." Meaning, she was well made-up!

Personally, it freaks me out but I've had to do the viewing on several occasions.

Des

Des, i am sure you know better than me but... didn't they ( and do they still) put pennies on the deceased eyes? (to pay the ferryman i was told)

I saw my own father after he'd died, mainly because a nurse ( and she was irish btw) encouraged me to do so, and i'm glad i did, but it does still haunt me

Custom on viewing a deceased varies in different parts of the UK depending on location, family preference etc.

About 60% of the funerals I deal with have the loved one viewed before the funeral, the vast majority in the Funeral Director's chapel. We are rarely asked for bodies to be taken home for viewing prior to a funeral.

It is most unusal to find a Minister, Priest, Vicar etc who will allow an open coffin in church or place of worship and I know of no crematorium chapel that will allow this.

Those that don't view usually are physically unable to look at a body or wish to remember their loved one as they were.

There are instances where viewing would be inadvisable such as a violent death; traffic accident, industrial accident, suicide, violent death etc., or where the deceased has a notifiable disease and there is a risk of infection to the staff dealing with the body or anyone else being near it.