Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Ulster 36th painting

markinbelfast

Des

Thanks for the explanations. I am genuinely interested in art as propaganda and was curious about the practicalities. From what you are say, am I right in thinking that this is mainly a Belfast "thing" and murals don't appear too much in other communities?

I hadnt realisied about the "in memorium" notices. Another difference about how you do things differently "over there" from us "over here"?

John

You will find murals of different kinds right across NI.

Has to be said the best are in Belfast (that ain't easy for me to say).

In terms of the notices ... ' In Memoriums' are probably an indication of the closer family ties here.

No disrespect to members from elsewhere but people here really do take the family seriously. To my mind .. a good thing.

Des,

I always thought Dervock's mural was a bit special as its basically their war memorial and had been there quite some time. Do you know if it is still there?

There used to be a nice one to the 36th in Donegal Pass a few years ago. Londonderry has some decent ones but not of the 36th,more historical ones.

American Presidents etc

As you say it is not un-common to see newspaper notices to relatives. I have done this myself for my Grand Mother's brother. It is still quite common in working class areas to have photos or certificates of soldiers on show.

Did some research on the Ulster Division RE's some years ago and visited a few families of the men and it was amazing to see how many had the big framed photos of the whole company hanging up on the wall. My grandfather had a similar photo and i was able to spot him on a couple of the ones i saw.

Rob

Will check on Dervock ... which of course boasts the 'North Irish Horse' pub/restaurant. It was owned (maybe still is) by the McLarnon family .. one served with the SAS in Malaya and the other was 'Major McLarnon' formerly of the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars. He was a ranker who was commissioned in the post WW2 Regt.

I remember being at a dinner in the 'Horse' some years ago when Patrick Cordingley was a guest .. having been CO of QRIH around the time of their tercentenary.

There was some 'strike' activity going on at the time and Dervock .. being Dervock .. was playing its part. Word has it that Cordingley looked on with a trained eye as the local lads chopped down a tree or two to provide barricades.

There is a legend that the Major asked Cordingley (later to command the Desert Rats) what he thought of the obstacle ... it is alleged (in urban myth) that he then proceeded to show the locals a much better way to site their barricade.

Even if it is not true .. it makes a good yarn. I'm quite sure that Dervock's token barricade would hardly have featured highly on the security forces 'worry list' for that day!!

It should also be noted that many murals are actually painted onto boards and then bolted to walls. Thus the structure of the actual public sector property is not defaced as such.

Des

True, but, as ever, there are exceptions...

I know of one case : a very well known set of (nationalist / republican) murals are painted in a place outside Belfast, directly onto Housing Executive property. Subsequently the Housing Executive install a ramp for wheelchair access to the property. The following week the artists appear at the local Housing Executive office requesting several thousand pounds in compensation because their artwork has been compromised!

Strange but true...!

The oddest thing to me who served 3 tours in Ulster from 1978 to 1982 is that I NEVER saw anyone actually painting the damned things. And we thought we had the areas taped!! :D

However they are beautiful. Those murals commemorating the Ulster and / or Irish Divisions must be applauded.

I'd love to see something that commemorates the 2 Divisions along the lines of their joint attacks.

Chris C

The oddest thing to me who served 3 tours in Ulster from 1978 to 1982 is that I NEVER saw anyone actually painting the damned things. And we thought we had the areas taped!! :D

Chris - that question had also been in my mind. But, as Des says, many of them are painted on boards (presumably elsewhere) and then fixed to the building.

John

Bleedin' McCooeys ... no respect for property!! :P

• 1 month later...

PLEASE CAN WE STEER CLEAR FROM POLITICS?.....I'll get a photo of it posted later!

http://www.sundaylife.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=662067

You can't 'seafarer' than that!

Loyalists replace UFF mural with tribute to Catholic VC Navy hero

By Joe Oliver

18 September 2005

A MURAL dedicated to the UFF has been removed in a loyalist estate - to make way for a giant painting of a CATHOLIC war hero!

The 26ftx30ft memorial to Leading Seaman James Magennis now dominates a gable wall at Tullycarnet in east Belfast. It replaces a grisly UFF 'grim reaper' mural in the style of heavy metal album cover.

The new mural was painted by artist Kenny Blair as part of celebrations to mark the 60th anniversary of the Allied victories in Europe and the Pacific.

Its unveiling was attended by a host of VIP guests representing the UN, Royal Naval Association, British Legion and the Submariners Association.

West Belfast-born Magennis (pictured) won the Victoria Cross - British highest military decoration - for an incredible act of bravery during a mini-sub attack on the Japanese warship Takao in Singapore harbour in 1945.

Magennis and three colleagues evaded enemy defences to steer their midget sub under the 10,000-ton vessel and attach mines to it.

Magennis made a second dangerous dive in the freezing waters to free the snagged containers holding the limpet mines.

Six days later the first Atom bomb was dropped on Hiroshima.

When Magennis returned home he was feted at Buckingham Palace, but became a shuttlecock in Ulster's great divide.

On his return to his old school, St Finian's on the Falls Road, pupils refused to stand for a "Brit" hero.

Magennis eventually settled in his wife's hometown of Bradford and lived there until his death in 1986.

The story would have ended there but for a campaign orchestrated by George Fleming, who wrote a book about Magennis' remarkable exploits. He eventually persuaded councillors in Belfast to erect a 6ft-high monument at the City Hall in memory of the only man from Northern Ireland to win a VC.

George, an ex-sailor, attended the unveiling of the Magennis mural and admitted: "It's wonderful to see this here. It shows courage crosses all boundaries and I think it's a magnificent gesture by the good people of Tullycarnet."

Loyalist Commission member Frankie Gallagher said: "The story of James Magennis - who lived in east Belfast for a time - is a fascinating one and this mural tells it brilliantly.

"We've removed all the other murals, too, and the one it's replacing is the UFF 'grim reaper'.

"This is part of a five-year strategy for the Tullycarnet estate to address what is the fourth-worst education attainment level in Northern Ireland.

"Education is a major issue and by putting up this mural we want children to learn about their own history, and the diversity of their own history.

"It is vital, and the children themselves will be building a memorial garden at the site in the near future."

I saw this the other night and thought it looked quite impressive - and it certainly has more to recommend it than the picture it replaced! Once I get a photo I'll post it, unless someone beats me to it!

Swizz

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
a superb memorial to the ulster 36th

shame we do not have memorials of this style and calibre here in the uk

Bruce

The mural is in Belfast. Belfast is in the UK. Therefore we do have memorials of this calibre in the UK!

Question for anyone who knows: The photo by Iain of the mural - was that the official insignia of the 36th?

Thanks in advance.

Mark has said earlier that these are much better than the paintings of the 'hairy faced men' .. and by that I take it he means the moustachioed types who everyone who lived in Ulster throughout the troubles will be all too familiar. I agree with him entirely.

"Wooly faced" was what he'd said.. meaning those wearing balaclavas.

While we're thinking of the 36th (Ulster), (now that I've resurrected this thread) - let's not forget those of the 16th (Irish) Division either, who were mainly formed from the Irish Volunteers.

The mural is in Belfast. Belfast is in the UK. Therefore we do have memorials of this calibre in the UK!

Question for anyone who knows: The photo by Iain of the mural - was that the official insignia of the 36th?

Thanks in advance.

The emblem in the centre of the mural is the badge of the 1892 Unionist Convention (anti-home rule).