Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt.-Col. E.T.F. Sandys, DSO, 2nd Middx.

Nick Thornicroft

I understand that Sandys was CO of the 2nd Middlesex on July 1st, 1916, when so many of his men were killed or wounded, & several months later he committed suicide in London due to the trauma. In the book "The VC & the DSO" it states he"died of wounds", & I was wondering if the precise nature of his death was hushed up at the time to avoid yet more negative press on the Somme offensive.

Also, does anyone know where Sandys was born?

Many thanks

Interesting if regimental histories of the Middlesex comment. As you say, I doubt if news of his suicide would have been quite the message that officialdom would have wanted put about.

Found a couple of entries -

" ...........there was a Lt Col ETF Sandys, 2nd Bn Middlesex Regt who although not a VC was a suicidal Lt Col. He was terribly distressed by his experiences on the Somme and the horrors his men faced and could no longer bear to be a leader of men. He took his own life, shooting himself with his service revolver on 6th Spetember 1916 in his room in the Cavendish Hotel, London. He died a week later and lies buried in the famous (or infamous) Brompton Cemetery. He was a DSO and was also mentioned in despatches. "

Good link, with photo and Daily Mirror report of his suicide -

http://theoldentimes.com/etfsandys16uk_1.html

It keeps nagging me that there is a chapter in one of the books on the Somme (was it Lyn MacDonalds?) about a general who committed suicide after being effectively sent back home (stellenbosched was the term I think). Or perhaps it was one of Malcolm Brown's books?

It may have been the same man - when back home I'll have a quick look.

Alan

Many thanks for all those who replied, especially for the Daily Mirror link, which accurately reported what happened. Clearly his death was not hushed up.

I'm grateful for the extra info on this tragic story.

The book you are thinking about is The First Day on the Somme by Martin Middlebrook.

Middlebrook uses Sandys's case as an argument as to whether officers had misgivings about the real success of the 5 day bombardment on the Somme. In the book Middlebrook states that Sandys was particularly worried about this as the 2nd Middlesex had a long way to cross over no-mans land.

A trench raid on Gerrman positions by another battalion, namely the 2nd Royal Berks, reported that they could hear the Germans singing merrily in their dugouts and Middlebrook argues that Sandys must have heard this news. He surmises that Sandys, who was reported as being highly strung but a popular C.O. could be seen pacing the camp worrying about the coming assault.

He then complained to his brigade commander, but this was rebuffed and the brigade commander Hunter Weston sent a note to all stating he was optimistic the attack would be a walk over.

As those that know the history of the Somme will tell you this was not the case on the day. The 2nd Middlesex lost 23 officers and 517 other ranks and Sandys was wounded in the assault and had to be evacuated.

Sandys went back to the UK to recover from his wounds and Middlebrook states that he continued to brood over all of this and the loss of so many of his men.His suicide note stated that he had wished he'd died with his men.

He was found on the 6th September 1916 having shot himself, although he did not die until a week later having never regained conciousness. At the inquest into his suicide the jury decided he had committed suicide whilst temporarily insane. 9 days later he was awarded a DSO and Haig mentioned him in dispatches in 1917.

Interesting if regimental histories of the Middlesex comment.

In the "Die Hards in the Great War" (Wyrall), the last mention of him is his wounding on July 1st.

Dave.

The book I was thinking of with the "stellenbosched" general was Malcolm Brown's Book of the Western Front. But it was another Brig-General - Carleton of the 98th Bde.

I was obviously confusing this with something in Martin Middlebrooks book. Memory is not like a fine wine..................

Alan