Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

56th Divisional History.

armourersergeant

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has a copy of the 56th divisional history. I am wondering if there is any reference to the commander of 169th Brigade commander, Brigadier General Coke who I believe was in command of this brigade over the term of 1916-18.

I have a brief service outline, i was wondering if there were any actual references to his command actions etc.

thanks in advance.

Arm.

If no answer by this evening- I'll look it up when I get home.

Work- the curse of the reading classes.

Ali

thanks

Arm.

Ps day off today thank god, but back to the mill tomorrow.

There are ten references to Coke. Most of them are either quotes or passing references. Hull, the Divisional commander, stated that he "deserve(s) great credit for the successful exploit (the capture of Aubigny-au-Bac on the night of 12/13th October 1918).

Hello Arm!!!

There are a few references to Brig-General Coke in Dudley Ward's "The Fifty Sixth Division 1914-1918" that touch upon his command actions.

On page 114 it mentions how he "went round his line on the 15th March" [1917].

On page 134 it touches upon the Battle of the Scarpe (3rd - 4th May 1917), and 169th Brigade's position when troops of the 3rd and 14th Division on their flanks had been pushed back. It says that Coke: "now found his men in a queer position. The troops on either flank of his brigade were back in the line they had started from; he [Coke] ascertained that none of his brigade were north of the Arras-Cambrai road, and so he held a long tongue in the valley of the Cojeu open to attack from the high ground on either side of it".

On page 237 it states about the German March 1918 offensive that: "Brig.-Gen. Coke says that during the six weeks his brigade had been in the line, the Cheshire Regt. had worked splendidly, and had put up double apron belts of wire where they would be most effective - the Naval-Marine line was protected by five belts of wire - and this stood the bombardment well enough to be a serious obstacle".

About the Battle of the Canal Du Nord, it says that on 27th September 1918 the brigade was to carry on an attack made earlier by the Canadians south of Sauchy at 2.48p.m. It goes on: "Brig.-Gen. Coke ordered the London Rifle Brigade to send a company, as soon as the barrage would permit, to establish posts on the east bank of the canal, and cover the Royal Engineers, who were to build a bridge about 1,000 yards north of the Arras-Cambrai road". The attack was eventually postponed until 3.28p.m.

On page 291 it says that the capture of the village of Aubigny-Au-Bac by two companies of the 2nd London Regt. was, according to General Hull: "initiated and carried out entirely under the orders of the Brigadier-General commanding the 169th Infantry Brigade [Coke], who deserves great credit for the successful exploit".

As far as I can see, that covers all the relevant entries mentioned in the index. Hope this helps,

All the best,

Tony

thank you all for the info, helps paint a picture.

regards

Arm.

Work- the curse of the reading classes.

Ali

I thought it was the curse of the drinking classes? ;)