Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Beds CWGC/SDGW casualties on 2 dates

steve fuller

Hi ya Pals

The CWGC web site wont "allow" me to achieve this from what I can see, so thought Id ask the forum. Im snooping around, picking up bits & pieces from various sources but wondered if anyone could considerably shorten my mini quest please?

Im not fortunate enough to own the CWGC / SDGW CD versions myself (Santa ignored me again last Xmas, & now we're not on speaking terms ... :angry: ), so my question is "is it possible to generate a list of casualties from a certain day" as Im searching in vain for ways to achieve what I want???

Second question is obvious I guess - would there be any Pal out there with nothing else to do (like me!!!) that would be able to do their magic & ID the casualties from 2 specific dates please?

In the hope that its easy enough to do, the search parameters are:

1. 5th Beds 20th July 1917 (& 21st, in case some died from wounds?)

2. 5th Beds 27th July 1917 (and following day, as above?)

3. They were in Palestine at the time & so far they seem to appear on Jerusalem memorial - havent found any graves so far but were near the Suez Canal.

4. 20th July killed were - 16 Bedfords, 1 Divisional Signal Coy, 1 484 Coy RE,

1 MG Coy, 1 unknown (the inknown is prob the body they found "from an earlier operation" on the way back from raiding)

5. 27th July casualties were - 3 killed, 7 missing, 23 wounded (Bedfords only as far as I know).

If its a nightmare to achieve, no worries as this is a bit of a long shot really!!

My thanks for any replies Pals, even if theyre a polite "no chance", at least I know!! :D

Im not fortunate enough to own the CWGC / SDGW CD versions myself (...), so my question is "is it possible to generate a list of casualties from a certain day" as Im searching in vain for ways to achieve what I want???

Don't have the SDGW CD myself (no luck in the lottery!) but I reckon that such a search could be possible, from what I know, it's quite possible, as the data can be searched with a number of options.

I only have the SDGW printed Bedfords volume (so any research has to be done "manually"), but if no CD owner shows up, I'd could give it a look (with a good cup of coffe by my side).

Gloria

No luck from me either (my annual pay rise doesn't even cover the cost!) If the worst comes to the worst you could scan through the "Cemetery details" for the men of the Bedfordshires. I'm sure SDGW could do it though!

Steve.

Steve

There are a least 20 men for 20th July. I will look for the other dates.

Send me an email with an address and I will print them of and post the names to you.

Regards Doug.

Steve

Just to keep you going until Doug sends you the print outs.

There will be more info on the print outs but this is what SDGW came up with.

By the way no officers killed on any of the dates requested.

All the best mate

Glyn

post-5500-1122400461.jpg

post-5500-1122400484.jpg

post-5500-1122400500.jpg

:lol: what a bunch of hero's you guys are!!! Thanks one & all, again!!

Will pm you Doug, thanks mate :D

And cheers Glyn, nice one. Noticed no Officers listed, which is unusual for the 5th - they seemed to make a rule of losing at least one officer per 3 OR's ... lead from the front eh?

Once again, thanks everyone :D