Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Same soldier, Two BWM's

private78245

Pte. 3720. J W Biddle. R War R. Received Star, Bwm, Bvm. under this number, also a Bwm under the number 10232. Can someone please tell me how this happened.

Regards Dave. :(

Dave,

did he transfere to another unit.reg?

maybe thats why but i'm no expert by any means, but there are some on here are,

Mandy

Pte. 3720. J W Biddle. R War R. Received Star, Bwm, Bvm. under this number, also a Bwm under the number 10232.  Can someone please tell me how this happened.

Regards  Dave. :(

Hello Dave

Have you actually got the medals?

Andy

Hello Dave

Have you actually got the medals?

Andy

I have the medals,they are my brother in laws fathers medals. the second medal reads Pte. 10232 J W Biddle. R War R. regards Dave. :(

Hello Dave

I must admit that I have never heard of this before. I would think that the most likely explanation is that one of the medals is a rename to replace a lost one and then the original has been found again.Just a thought, but I am sure some of the real medal experts on here will have a much more likely explanation.

Andy

Whilst there are two BWM there are also two Medal Index Cards! both men are James W. Biddle,

3720 J.W.Biddle served with the Warwickshire Regt{TF Bn; from the Number} & Machine Gun Corps[143083]

10232 J.W.Biddle served with the 2nd[Regular] Bn,Warwickshire Regt[very early Kitchener K1 Number,or late Regular Number{Most regular Numbers end around the 10000 Mark}] then the Ox & Bucks L.I.[25285]

I would suggest that the two medals may in fact have been awarded to two different Men,perhaps Father & Son or Cousins,or possibly even Brothers,it was not uncommon for Brothers to be given the same 1st Christian Name & a different 2nd Christian Name[Walter/William???],as from the Numbers it would appear @ first sight @ least that they would have both been numbered thus in early August/October 1914,Double issues however do occur,usually if the Recipient has moved around a lot{which if this fellow IS one & the same,he would have done}& Medals are issued from two or more Regiment Record Offices,{They are perhaps more often seen when a man has served in the Navy for example & then transferred to the Army,he then received both RN & Army impressed BWM[& Victory]Though officially only one should be worn & again "officially" one set should have been returned!

I would dig a bit deeper if possible to establish the connection.

I would suggest obtaining both Medal Index Cards & Then the Medal Roll Pages {& War Badge Details if applicable in either case!}These should confirm hopefully the Embarkation Dates for both Men/Man; May X reference the Numbers & Help Confirm or deny the Link.

[it seems medal number 10232 is for James W Biddle, 2nd War. Reg. This is becoming more confusing. :(

Any ideas.

regards Dave

How do i get my hands on the medal roll pages? a long journey sounds about right.

Our postings crossed. many thanks Dave

[it seems medal number 10232 is for James W Biddle, 2nd War. Reg. This is becoming more confusing. :(   

Any ideas. 

regards  Dave

How do i get my hands on the medal roll pages? a long journey sounds about right.

Our postings crossed.  many thanks  Dave

To obtain the Medal Roll pages you must first accquire the relevant Medal Index Cards{which can be downloaded frm the NA @ £3.50 per copy or free by attending still}

Then you use the Roll Page Numbers Code that appears alongside each listed Medal [1 set of Numbers/Letters for Star & 1 set of Numbers/Letters for BWM/Victory,etc;] to obtain the Roll Page{only by attending the NA or getting a Researcher to do it for you}[+ any War Badge{SWB} entitlement that might be indicated on the MiC,which is usually indicated by a Roll Index Number below Medal Listing on MiC] Good Luck.

To obtain the Medal Roll pages you must first accquire the relevant Medal Index Cards{which can be downloaded frm the NA @ £3.50 per copy or free by attending still}

Then you use the Roll Page Numbers Code that appears alongside each listed Medal [1 set of Numbers/Letters for Star & 1 set of Numbers/Letters for BWM/Victory,etc;] to obtain the Roll Page{only by attending the NA or getting a Researcher to do it for you}[+ any War Badge{SWB} entitlement that might be indicated on the MiC,which is usually indicated by a Roll Index Number below Medal Listing on MiC] Good Luck.

thanks for that.

Regards Dave. :)