Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Leicesters

dorrie

Hello All

Has anybody any idea if there was a large transfer of Sherwood Foresters to the 6th Leicesters after Easter 1918. Three men I am looking at William Gleaden MM , Wiliam Meads and William Beardsall MM all from Retford returned to their Sherwood Foresters batllion after injury and were transferred to the 6th Leicesters.

Willaim Beardsall and William Meads were killed in the same incident at the end of April so were not with the Leicesters long. Gleaden was killed later in the year.

Also can anybody tell me which Battalion SF theywere transfered from

Many Thanks

Dorrie

Do you know their service numbers? I suspect they may well be SF territorials, probably 1/7th.

Andrew William Gleadens number was 6343 and William Beardsall's number was 306188

Hope this helps]

Dorrie

Morning Andrew William gleadns no was 6343 and William Beardsall was 306188

Hope this can help

Dorrie

William Beardsall's number, at least, is a 7th Battalion (TF) one after the 1917 re-numbering.

Steve.

Steve - My research indicates that original 1/7th renumbering is six digit beginning with 26. However 30**** numbers were given to many new men in 1918. Most of the 306*** numbers were used with the 1/8th and 2/8th, particularly the latter.

Dorrie - before we go any further are these the SF or Leicestershire numbers?

dorrie,

It is more than likely that these men came from the 2/8th Bn., Sherwood Foresters this Bn. along with the 1/8th Bn. took recruits from Retford/Worksop Area via Newark the depot for the 8th Bn. T/F. I have searched my records (not in the best of order) but I have not located the relevant information but I have a vague recollection the 2/8th bn., was disbanded round about the time mentioned.

Regards Cliff.

As I said above the service number makes the 2/8th battalion most likely, and Cliff has reminded me of a possibly crucial point. The 2/8th was disbanded as part of army-wide reorganisation in February 1918. Now, wounded men could not rely on being returned to their original battalion at the best of times, so it would be even harder if (in the meantime) your battalion had totally ceased to exist. I have no idea when easter fell in 1918, but it would not be beyond possibility that upon their recovery your men, along with several others, found themselves shipped off to the Leicestershire's simply because the 2/8th had been disbanded.

I have been away for a few days but thanks for all your work the numbers I have gibven were taken of the MIC and they are their SF numbers

Dorrie

In that case logic dictates that the men were 2/8th.