Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

To buy, or not to buy

John_Hartley

The war diaries you want are always illegible; those others want are always crystal clear and name all the ORs ........ it was just my luck to find myself looking at almost illegible documents in French and Turkish (or was it double-dutch).

You can't win 'em all.

The magazine "What Camera" gives a review of all cameras available on the market.

It is then up to you to select from the criteria such as price,availability and quality.

I chose a Nikon Coolpix 885.It has been on the market for two years but was still getting good reviews against newcomers.I would think that any design snags have been resolved with a late buy. It comes complete with the software, Nikon View 5 and has quite good picture quality on the screen.

Effective Pixels are specified at 3.2million.

Price, it was marketed at nearly £400 when released initially.I paid £286 recently but could have kicked myself when I saw it at £226 a month later through the DT by Digital Cameras.

Obiviously I did not do enough research or I did not wait long enough for the product to fall further in price.

The main point is that I am not disappointed with the purchase.

Regards

Frank East

Richard

Its the 10th South Wales Borderers. Yes, I did happen to choose one of the more legible ones. Those that are written in light pencil are harder to read eg

post-8-1058524910.jpg

Another advantage of digital photography of documents is the ease with which documents can be enhanced. The post above it not easy to read but simple manipulation can make it far easier to decipher.

post-8-1058529120.jpg

Out of interest, if you cannot use a flash or tripod at the PRO/NA then how do you avoid camera shake, and thus a dodgy image?

Paul

The lighting in the area set aside for camera use is pretty good. My camera is no an expensive model and I only use it in auto mode with macro switched on. A green square appears on the arear that it has focused upon. Sometimes it won't focus on the light pencil diaries so I get it to focus on the printed writing at the top of the sheet. I'm happy with my results and only seldom get a shot that is blurred.

Michael

Much depends on what you want the image for. At the NA I tend to record large areas of text such as war diaries or medal roll entries. Getting a seat near the window helps, but even then I can get a camera shake warning. As it happens this causes me no particular problem. If things are a little blurred, I use the magnification option in my download programme which allows me to transcribe the bits that I need with little problem.

Terry Reeves

Thanks for that guys - I had no idea you could do this at the PRO and it will help immensly when I am next there later this year.

I thought I would repost the pic that I deleted off. I have now resized it but it has lost the point I was trying to make. The original is 10x8 inch printed by kodac on Kodac photographic paper, cost 2.40p. The pic was taken on a Kodac DC240 1.3 megapixel camera with built in flash.

Kate. after reading your post and my rollocking, I have locked my doors in case you come around and duff me up. :unsure:

Greenwoodman, I am the one in the middle. :D

Titled, My two girls

post-8-1058556314.jpg

Dear Pals

Very many thanks for all the contributions. I think I feel a shop coming on.

It feels as though I'm going to get some use out of a cheapish (2mill pixels) one - but it's not going to replace the "real thing" in my affections.

(Martin - thanks also for the email)

John

B)

My own personal preference is for SLR, plus slide scanner and good graphics editing software. I like the creative feeling of taking artistic decisions before capturing the photograph. However, as a way of testing whether one might use a digital camera or not, I found it very valuable to choose a cheap digital one for initial experiments and I haven't found that was wasted at all. Now, I have a much better idea of what I would be looking for were I to be considering buying a more complex digital camera.

John, the documents which I photographed and emailed to you were slides, scanned and enhanced.

Gwyn