Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Book: The Incomparable 29th and the River Clyde

oak

By any chance, do any of the Pals have access to "The Incomparable 29th and the 'River Clyde'" by G. Davidson (Bisset, 1920) please?

Regards,

Philip

• 4 weeks later...

Philip, Are you refering to one book or two? I have "With the Incomparable 29th" by Major A H Mure.Published by W R Chambers, Edinburgh 1919. This is a short informal history of the 5th Royal Scots.Its a bit chatty and anecdotal but I could try a look-up for you. Tim Whitcombe

Thanks Tim,

I'm referring to one book ie. presumably the book refers to those from the 29th Division who landed fron the SS River Clyde.

I'm researching the landings at V Beach on 25 April 1915. These were made by 1st Bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers, 1st Bn. Royal Munster Fusiliers and 2nd Bn. Hampshire Regiment, all from 29th Division.

I know that the 5th Royal Scots were the only Territorials to be attached to 29th Division. I don't know where they landed in Gallipoli , but I don't think it was at V Beach. If it was, it was after the initial landing.

The 5th Royal Scots were attached to 88th Brigade, 29th Division, the same brigade as 2nd Bn. Hampshire Regiment. The latter landed on V Beach from the SS River Clyde.

While your book is about 5th Royal Scots, I would be very interested to know what --if anything - it says about the V Beach landing.

Regards,

Philip

Philip, about 2 short chapters are relevant to your needs. Can you PM me with your address and I can send you photocopies by snail mail. The 5th Royal Scots were earmarked for V beach but went to W due to the hold ups ashore. Tim

Phillip, regarding - "I know that the 5th Royal Scots were the only Territorials to be attached to 29th Division." Just for the record - the first guns to land for the 29th Divisional Artillery included one section each of the Argyll Mountain Battery (RGA, TF) and the Ross & Cromarty Mountain Battery (RGA, TF) both at W Beach. They were the only TF Artillery in the 29th Division at Gallipoli. Transferred from the 51st (Highland) Division in March, they were a part of the 29th Divisional Artillery until late July when they were transferred to the 11th, then the 10th Divisions for the Suvla Bay landings.

Hindoo Stan - Any mention of these batteries in that book?

Mike Morrison

Sorry Mike, A quick scan thru shows it to be lacking any real unit detail. Strong on anecdote and cheery fortitude and mostly concerned with the 5th Royal Scots. Tim

A book catalogue came through just this morning Philip with a copy for sale of Davidson-The Incomparable 29th & the "River Clyde". See Turner Donovan Military Books www.turnerdonovan.com if you are prepared to buy a copy. And the bad news- £145. Regards Tim.

Thanks Mike. Tim, the information you sent arrived by post yesterday. Many thanks. I will check out the website you mentioned.

Regards,

Philip

Thanks Mike.  Tim, the information you sent arrived by post yesterday.  Many thanks.  I will check out the website you mentioned.

Regards,

Philip

Philip, "Sword of the North" has small potted history of the Ross Highland Mountain Battery with many several photograrphs battle honours etc and a brief account of its service with the 29th division. It also mentions the Argyll Battery but far more briefly best regards John

Thanks John,

Do you have the name of the author please and -- if possible --- an ISBN for the book?

Regards,

Philip

Thanks John,

Do you have the name of the author please and -- if possible --- an ISBN for the book?

Regards,

Philip

Philip, printed in 1923, dugald macechern,inverness, ISBN? not in those days old boy! second hand ? 90-150 for a nice copy, an interesting book printed on high quality paper 671 pages approx 8x11 very best regards John

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks John,

Please forgive the delay in replying. I was on a short break.

Regards,

Philip

Philip, Are you refering to one book or two? I have "With the Incomparable 29th" by Major A H Mure.Published by W R Chambers, Edinburgh 1919. This is a short informal history of the 5th Royal Scots.Its a bit chatty and anecdotal but I could try a look-up for you.  Tim Whitcombe

Hi Tim,

If by chance you have and info on the 14th siege battery RGA, in this book on the 29th I would be most interested.

Thanks

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks for this "Sergeant-Major" McNay (sorry I don't know your first name),

I am very grateful.

Kind regards,

Philip

Oh Fiddlesticks!, just beaten to it! Well spotted DMcNay. Tim

Pals,

The site mentioned appears to allow one to download the book in question. Unfortunately, when I down load it, my computer tells me that it is a damaged file and cannot be opened. Neither can I print it --or even a single page --- from the site. I would be very grateful if another Pal --or Pals-- would try to down load it or print pages and see if they encounter similar problems.

Regards,

Philip

• 4 weeks later...

oak, I'll try and download it tonight. Depending on the size of the file, I can either email it or post it on a CD-r. Let me know which you prefer.

Many thanks,

I apologise for the delay in replying, it's been over a week since I last looked at this thread. I'd like to take you up on your offer to send it on a CD please. I'll send you a personal message to arrange details.

Kind regards,

Philip

• 6 months later...
By any chance, do any of the Pals have access to "The Incomparable 29th and the 'River Clyde'" by G. Davidson (Bisset, 1920) please?

Regards,

Philip

Yep, I'm lucky enough to have a copy. Any use, or were you able to get copy on CD?

It's a great book.

Chris

Many thanks Chris,

As it happens a friend of mine bought a copy and has given it to me on extended loan. It is, as you say, a great book.

Kind regards,

Philip