I'm interested in the fate of this officer:

James Fraser GLASS

Name: GLASS, JAMES FRASER

Initials: J F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Seaforth Highlanders

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 26/04/1915

Additional information: Son of J. G. H. Glass, Esq., C.I.E.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. M. 55.

Cemetery: POPERINGHE OLD MILITARY CEMETERY

Any information much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.

From parent site:

2nd Bn. Seaforths, part of 10th Brigade, 4th Division

The Battle of St Julien (24th April - 4th May 1915).

Stuart

From parent site:

2nd Bn. Seaforths, part of 10th Brigade, 4th Division

The Battle of St Julien (24th April - 4th May 1915).

Stuart

Staurt,

Thanks, I had go that much, hoping someone might have a War diary.

Chris.

Can't help with any battalion details - sorry.

Don't know if you have this already:

Gallantry MIC

Possibly a Mention in Despatches, but I can't find an entry in the London Gazette.

However, from the Gazette:

Temporary Lt.

Looked like he was a temporary Lieutenant when he was killed.

Stuart

Can't help with any battalion details - sorry.

Don't know if you have this already:

Gallantry MIC

Possibly a Mention in Despatches, but I can't find an entry in the London Gazette.

However, from the Gazette:

Temporary Lt.

Looked like he was a temporary Lieutenant when he was killed.

Stuart

Stuart,

I had seen the MIC index entry, but hadn't got as far as the Gazette, so many thanks for that.

I strongly suspect the mans's father ( awarded Commander of Indian Empire) was himself an old soldier and possilby of high rank within the Seaforths when they were in India pre-1900.

Thanks again for you help.

Regards,

Chris.

Stuart,

I had seen the MIC index entry, but hadn't got as far as the Gazette, so many thanks for that.

I strongly suspect the mans's father ( awarded Commander of Indian Empire) was himself an old soldier and possilby of high rank within the Seaforths when they were in India pre-1900.

Thanks again for you help.

Regards,

Chris.

As a postscript, my guess about the fahter was wrong. He was born in Scotland, and been a Civil Engineer in the Indian dept.

Chris.

Chris,

Westlakes Battalions on the Western Front January to June 1915 only has this to say

April

Left Hill 63 for Baillieul on 12th, then to Dranoutre 23rd. Marched via Ouderdon and St. Jean to positions near Wieltje 24th. Took part in attack the next day. Casaulties - 338 killed, wounded or missing. Major K.W. Arbuthnot; Captains H.M. Spencer, W.A.A. Middleton, B.N. Lunsden, K.D.M. Maclachlan; Lieutenants A.R. Burness, J.F. Glass; Second Lieutenants G.J.H. Feilden, A.I.D. Cameron and W.N.L. Boyd among those killes. Held trenches in front of Wieltje 26th - 30th.

Andy

Chris

Section from a map, 26th April 1915, from the History of the Canadian Forces - Col. Duguid, which I have on CD from Archive CD books.

The full map which is one of an excellent series on the CD, can not be reproduced for copyright reasons, but this small section shows the 2nd Seaforths just in front of the village of St. Julien.

This bears out various accounts of the Northumberland Fusiliers who came to a trench, occupied by Seaforth Highlanders on that day.

Kate

post-2045-1122423171.jpg

An account of the advance in the afternoon of 26th

' - - - At 2.45 the Brigade reached the line held by the 10th Bde. Ahead the ruins of the village of St. Julien could be seen some 800 yds ahead. here the 6th Battalion tumbled into the front line trenches occupied by the 2nd Seaforth Highlanders. There was little room and many of the men were required to hastily dig shallow scrapes in the ground to obtain what cover they could.'

Kate & Andy,

Thanks for all the extra info. map etc.

Chris.

The attached image to comes from a Brigade/Divisional Diary ( found amongst Canadian War Diaries on-line)

April 1915 10th Brigade, p. 10

The following notice appeared in the "The Times, London, Friday, May 7, 1915".

"GLASS - On the 26th April, of wounds received in action near Ypres on April 25th, JAMES FRASER GLASS, Lieutenant, 2nd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, son of the late J. G. H. Glass C.I.E., aged 23. "

Chris,

Thank you for posting the Canadian information. It is a help to have information from many sources as back up.

It is interesting that Lt. Glass is buried at Poperinghe. I think there is a cemetery called Seaforths in the exact area of this attack.

It even looks, from the above accounts, as though the wounding may have happened on 25th April and your Times quotation 'died of wounds' supports the idea, that he made it to medical attention.

Many of the casualties of that attack are commemorated on the Menin Gate.

Kate

Kate,

You are right about the "Seaforth" cemetry, the Silentcities webiste has the details.

The accounts do say "we were able to get wounded back" .... hence the possiblities of eventual burials taking place in different locations.

I only wish the CWGC database allowed the type of flexible searching available on the SDGW CD-Rom, it would be so easy to pick out the men commemorated in the Menin Gate from just that one attack.

Chris.

Chris,

You can go to

http://www.snwm.org

search WW1 and just enter the date. 25/04/1915 and nothing else.

You get 225 casualties.for 25th and 215 for 26th.

Aye

Malcolm

Malcom,

To my shame, I had forgotten all about the he Scottish National War Memorial website.

Thanks for the reminder.

Chris.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This action and how it developed and progressed as regards the 2nd Seaforths has been of interest to me, as well. I had been interested in data on Captain Spencer, and just what men were involved in the attack. I believe Spencer to have been CO of D Coy.

Chris,

Westlakes Battalions on the Western Front January to June 1915 only has this to say

April

Left Hill 63 for Baillieul on 12th, then to Dranoutre 23rd. Marched via Ouderdon and St. Jean to positions near Wieltje 24th. Took part in attack the next day. Casaulties - 338 killed, wounded or missing. Major K.W. Arbuthnot; Captains H.M. Spencer, W.A.A. Middleton, B.N. Lunsden, K.D.M. Maclachlan; Lieutenants A.R. Burness, J.F. Glass; Second Lieutenants G.J.H. Feilden, A.I.D. Cameron and W.N.L. Boyd among those killes. Held trenches in front of Wieltje 26th - 30th.

Andy

• 9 months later...

Pardon the late addition to this thread, but I only recently came into possesion of a medal which belonged to my grandfather's brother. He was pte Angus Macleod 9258 from 43 Ranish, Lochs, Isle of Lewis. The medal is 'North West Frontier 1908' India, he served there with 1st btn Seaforth Highlanders.

With the help of the NA and links from this thread (thanks Malcolm) it appears that he was killed in action on 25th April 1915 at St Julien, whilst serving with 2nd btn Seaforth Highlanders. His name is on the North lochs memorial in Lewis, but so far I have not found it (from web searches) on any Seaforth or other memorials in Belgium. I'm still looking, but if anyone could help I would be very grateful.

I have already paid my respects to my Grandpa's other brother Allan, lost in the Iolaire disaster, but I would like to be able to say a few words to Angus where he fell.

Fortunately (for me) my grandpa survived the war. he was cpl Donald Macleod 2398 of Lord Strathcona's Horse. I am currently reading through their entire war diaries from a link provided by Grandson Michael on this site Already I have copies of pages referring to him wounded in action 10/10/18 and for this I am very grateful.

update: Angus Macleod, mystery solved:

• 5 years later...

The War Diary shows:

"April 25th Near WIELTJE

Very wet indeed.

Moved into position for attack at 4am.

Attack commenced at 5.30am. Brigade disposition from left to right – R. Warwickshire Regt. – Seaforth Highlanders – R. Dublin Fusiliers – R. Irish Fusiliers.

Came under heavy fire when getting into position before attack commenced – finally took up a position & dug in as well as possible.

6-30am & after - absolutely quiet except for a good deal of shelling on [illegible] flank.

Line readjusted & action after dark & trenches and now as many wounded as possible got in.

From Right to Left companies B C D & A.

Very wet day till 8am – fine afternoon"

Roll of Officers: Lt. J. F. GLASS was "Wounded 25th –Died of wounds 26th"

A full account of the attack is attached at the end of the month entries.

If you send me your email address, I'll forward copies of the War Diary pages for the period and my transcription of those pages.

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

Graeme,

I've not got as far as 31 Oct 1917 in my transcribing.

The War Diary has been stored in a .pdf file and the quality leaves a lot to be desired.

I also think that seeing the actual page gets you 'closer' to the situation. I took .jpg copies of each page.

I'm not sure how to load up the .jpg file of the page you want.

If you send me your email address I'll send a .jpg file for that date.

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.